Author Topic: Star Progressive Taper Crimp - 38 spl  (Read 11554 times)

dverna

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Star Progressive Taper Crimp - 38 spl
« on: November 06, 2010, 05:42:50 pm »
A friend of mine is interested in adding a taper crimp to his Star.  What is required to add a taper crimp to a standard Star Progressive?  Is there anyone who does this?

What is the approximate cost?

Thanks,

Don

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Star Progressive Taper Crimp - 38 spl
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 11:10:51 pm »
Your friend needs to examine the last station of the tool head and see if it has a plain 3/8" hole or is tapped for a 11/16-24 die.

If it has a hole, you need to ask around for a "Post Style Taper Crimp Die".

This is a link to what a Post style die looks like....

http://home.comcast.net/~fc60net/postcrimp.JPG

Should it be tapped 11/16-24, I can machine a new die for $47.00, which includes shipping. You can also post a wanted request on this website as many folks have spare parts to sell or trade.

Cheers,

Dave Wilson

dverna

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 09:34:39 am »
Dave,

He has an untapped hole.

Is there a "plug" that goes into the bottom of the last station to support the round as it is gets crimped?  How is it mounted?  Do you machine them?

I would gladly work with you to get his needs addressed.  My friend is a new Bullseye shooter and he may need help in setting things up.  I prefer to purchase a new die so any "issues" are minimized for him.  Let me know what is needed and costs and I will send you a money order and my friends address.

I gave him a Star I was keeping for "spares".  This was part payment for a good deed he did for me.   He is great guy but a bit mechanically challenged.   He is used to using a Dillon and cannot seem to get the knack of using a combined seating/crimping die. 

Thank you for your help/advice.

You may call me at 248-705-0658 or email at [no e-mail]@.com

Don

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 11:59:10 am »
Greetings,

Locate a Star Parts List. Item #67U is a bushing that allows a rimmed case to drop though the base into a collection box. For crimping at this station, you need a #68U, Shell Floor Base Plug, which is solid. You must now remove the cartridge manually.

Something I forgot. Your friends machine may be the Progressive, 38 Special only, model. Look at the sizing, powder drop, and seating stations. If there is a small metal strap held on with a small machine screw the machine would be a Universal, which is convertible to other calibers.

Nonetheless, myself, or one of the other forum members, should be able to machine/supply you with needed parts.

Cheers,

Dave

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 12:44:35 pm »
dverna,

Assuming your friend has a Universal, and not a Progressive, I can supply you with the 67U which is needed when you taper crimp in the last station. Send me a PM if interested.  In the picture below, it's the bushing on the left.

Post style taper crimp dies can be hard to find, you might be better off having FC60 drill and tap the last station for an 11/16-24 Die which he can provide as well.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:51:34 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

dverna

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 02:20:21 pm »
My friend has a Progressive so I will need to have the plug made.

Dave, if you could provide me an estimate for tapping for the 11/16-24 die and the base plug I would appreciate it.  Would you produce a post style taper crimp die?  That would be easier than having the head shipped to you - and I can "surprise" him with the upgrade.

Either option will work unless you think the post crimp die is "inferior" in some way.  The only other consideration would be which taper die will work better with the auto eject that Ray Brandes produces.  It requires 3/16" clearance between the shell plate and the die base.

Thanks for helping us out.

Don

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 05:35:44 pm »
Greetings Don,

I sent an email to your AOL (America off Line) account and it was denied.

Please click on the little envelope under my fc60 moniker and send me a message to my personal email account.

I should be able to provide you with a working solution.

Bruce has a spare 67U plug for sale.

Cheers,

Dave Wilson

fc60net at comcast dot net

dverna

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 03:29:35 pm »
Dave

PM sent.

Don

dverna

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 06:33:31 pm »
I was able to get a post crimp die from Lindy.

Thanks, Lindy!!

Don Verna