Author Topic: Comparison of Genuine Star Dies with Wilson Replica Dies  (Read 7504 times)

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Comparison of Genuine Star Dies with Wilson Replica Dies
« on: January 18, 2011, 08:11:21 pm »
Greetings All,

I just finished up a set of Replica Dies for Art in Caliber 44 Special/Magnum. I would like to post an image comparing the two dies sets side by side. The top row is a set of Genuine Star Dies I picked up some time ago. The bottom row is a set of Wilson Replica dies that I just finished. Shown are the sizing/decapping die, the expander plug, the seating/crimping die with bullet seater, and an additional Taper Crimp die that was not part of my original Star die set.

I post these so folks can see the effort that goes into keeping these machines as original as possible. I can distinguish the differences of the two dies laid out side by side. The untrained eye will find it a little more challenging. Star used a die to cut the external threads while I single point thread them on my lathe. Also notice that Star used a different font for stamping "44" on the die body. The roll stamping of the Lifetyme die would be very expensive to duplicate. It is very attractive and well made.

Jam nuts may seem like a simple item. Not so. Look carefully at your Star machine and you will notice that the jam nuts have a 0.015" circular bearing face on the locking side. This is somewhat detailed in the Machinery Handbook but the Star parts are not a standard of the industry. All the nuts I produce have this feature. Another item where Star separates themselves from the others.

http://home.comcast.net/~fc60net/pwpimages/Star44Dies.JPG

Thanks to Art and all the others that have asked me to machine dies and parts for them. Since I have something to keep myself busy now the folks at the local Jail wonder if I moved out of the area.

Do not forget that Bruce M  and Richard D machine shell plates, primer tubes, and other goodies to keep these fine machines up and running.

Cheers,

Dave Wilson

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Comparison of Genuine Star Dies with Wilson Replica Dies
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:20:37 pm »
Very nice work!

The Star dies even look new!
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 07:16:11 am »
Guys:

Dave has done some wonderful work on dies for me, that are not "normal" in the Star world.

He has also produced a set of .38 SuperComp dies for me which are a wildcat variant of .38 Super.
He also has created some replacement die NUTS which are perfect in every way...

As far as accuracy is concerned, the .38 SuperComp dies are one-hole dies and if I try hard, with a two hand hold, I am normally under 2" 10 shot groups at 25Y. (the pistol is good too BTW).

The .44 dies will be used to feed a nice old Dan Wesson .44 Magnum hunter with 8" barrel.  A BLAST!

And again, thanks, and a hat tip, to all the great craftsmen out there who help us keep the old STARs burning "bright". (Richy, Dave, Ray, M.A., Rbruce)

Art
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:48:23 am by ARTINCT »
Art In Connecticut

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 08:05:26 am »
Took the Dan Wesson 44 Magnum Revolver with 8" vented heavy barrel out to the range yesterday to test the loads from the Star.
The best loads were the 8.5g of Unique with Lee Tumble Lube self cast bullets in 10:1 lead/tin.
It took about 12 shots to get the sights zeroed in then I shot 6 shot groups.
Here is a pictures of the targets at 25 yards, open sites from bags....  boringly accurate.
Shows what a good set of dies can do.... Thanks Dave!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:49:47 am by ARTINCT »
Art In Connecticut