Author Topic: Visit to Star Machine Works circa 1973  (Read 8703 times)

LHTEX

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Visit to Star Machine Works circa 1973
« on: February 25, 2011, 01:06:46 am »
I am not new to using Star presses but have been off and on again since 1968.  I went into business reloading mostly for a community college that taught law enforcement classes in '68.   Even at that time we had to get a Federal Fire Arms License to manufacture and sell ammunition.  I bought a used Star Universal with the Hulme feeder and the sizer/lubricator, molds etc. from a guy who basically sold me his business.  I quickly found out that buying the bullets was the way to go in lieu of casting and sizing them.  We loaded wadcutters with 2.7 grains of Bullseye.  I pulled the handle on about 80,000 rounds or about 30 pounds of BE.  In those days I figured we could load a box (50) for 69 cents and sold the bulk rounds for $2.00 a box if the buyer returned the brass for reloading or $2.50 outright.  I never had any trouble with the Star and never had any complaints about the reloads.  We did not clean or tumble cases in those days so the rounds were not pretty but they worked well.  The reason I am going on about this stuff is reading the information from Bruce about Star's products on an old posting brought to mind my visit to Star Machine Works in 1973.  I wanted to buy some extra case tubes for the feeder and a couple of springs as spares and since I was visiting relatives in San Diego I went by the "factory."  My great uncle who lived there was a shooter and former policeman and was very familiar with Star.  It certainly did not look like a factory like I expected, but a middle-sized old Machine Shop.  I saw a lot of loaders being assembled and Mr. Mock sat down and talked to me for a good while.  He showed me the loaders they were working on and some of the machine work being done for them and also the sprinklers they were making.  But, he also showed me some brass fishing swivels they were making for the commercial fishing industry.  There were drums of them sitting around and he reached in, got a hand full and gave me some.  I still have a couple somewhere.  The ends were brass and they were maybe a quarter inch in diameter or larger and very stout.  I remember two sizes.  As I recall Mr. Mock told me the reloaders were more of a sideline than their major product at that time.  Anyway, he sold me several of the case feeder tubes and some springs and I left.  I remember carrying the tubes home on the plane.  The stewardess put them in the closet for me during the flight.  No metal detectors or hassles in those days. Thanks to Bruce, I still have two Star presses today and still think they can't be beat.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:41:44 pm by LHTEX »

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
Re: Visit to Star Machine Works circa 1973
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 07:53:43 am »
Thanks for sharing this bit of information.... the perception that the reloader business was not the primary bread & butter for Star, as far as products and sales went is valuable.  Keep those Stars running!
Art In Connecticut

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 08:47:28 am »
Great story Dave,  Thanks.

Does anyone have a picture of Star Machine Works,  inside or out?   I have never seen one.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

LHTEX

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 11:29:30 am »
You know, at the time of my visit I was actually a photography teacher in a high school in Texas and I almost always took pictures of the places I visited.  I am sad to say I did not take my camera (a TLR Roelli) on the trip to Star that day.  I do have the light blue Star brochure dated July 15, 1970 that they gave me when I visited.  The prices are in the brochure.  The Progressives were $240, with carbide dies $252.50.  The Universal Progressive is listed at $275 and $287.50 respectively. A new tool head with shell plate and steel die was $90.50 and $103 with carbide die.  There was also a little coupon of sorts stamped onto a little piece of paper in red ink.  It says, "20% off on relaoders, lubricators, carbide dies and all parts. Prices F.O.B San Diego, Calif.  At the present time our shipping schedule is: Reloaders - 5 to 6 months, lubricators - 1 to 2 months and Parts - 2 to 4 weeks."  The times are written by hand in ink.  There is no expiration date on the discounts.  How would you like to get a deal like that now?  If this issue of the pamphlet or the discount sheet is not in your archives I would be glad to scan it and post it for the members.  It is in mint condition.