Author Topic: Primer Problems  (Read 9064 times)

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Primer Problems
« on: March 13, 2011, 03:49:44 pm »
I reloaded about 400 .38 Spl. and had three (3) stoppages at the primer station on my universal.  I don't know what caused the problem as I took the primer feed and set apart to clear the stoppage.  Small pistol primers were old CCI.   Anyone have any ideas as to the problem?

saltydog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Primer Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 05:11:41 pm »
I had some primer problems also.  

I got fairly adept at field striping the Star.  

After lots of cussing, frustration, heavy handed problem solving, help, and suggestions, it now hums right along.  Just like Mama's sewing machine, it don't miss a stitch.

I am currently using a different brand of primer instead of the CCI.  Its gonna take me a L-O-N-G time to use up 5,000 CCI primers in the Rockchucker. They ain't going back into the Star 'tho.

Resist the temptation to employ 'bigger hammer' philosophy and a heavy hand on the Star.

salty

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 05:14:28 pm by saltydog »

cc656d

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 05:28:40 pm »
Same problem here years ago with Remington large pistol. After years of loading Remington I started having problems with failure to feed primers.  When I started having 1 or 2 per hundred I started looking for answers. After examination I found Remington primers were not round and this was the problem. I have found Remington primers with two anvils and and without any. The problem was an easy fix - Federal.
Distinguished pistol shot
2600 club
NIB Star
Benefactor member NRA
Life Member Va, Md, WVa, and Fl State Shooting Associations , Life OGCA

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 05:38:19 pm »
Thanks for the info...I will try another brand. 

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 05:43:19 pm »

Not saying this will cure Your primer problem, but one of my machines started doing that once and I found A simple cure by running a cleaning patch soaked with a little Hops through the primer magazine tube, followed by a couple dry patches. I now make that a regular part of my maintenance.

Good Shooting

Lindy

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
  • Cell - 318-518-0829 Central Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 08:11:24 pm »
I've used Winchester primer when I started Loading for the Police Pistol Team, back in the 60's..??? ???
Never had a problem.....
Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 10:19:42 pm »
Thanks Lindy, I will try that.  The machine has not seen action in many years and this was kinda the maiden voyage.  Doc, I don't think I could go wrong with Winchester.  I think it will do better with large primers and .45 acp.  Thanks. tt