Author Topic: Shell Floor Base plug  (Read 7520 times)

rrag

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Shell Floor Base plug
« on: March 27, 2011, 06:51:59 pm »
Hello all,

I am just starting out with the star reloader and have some questions.  I am setting one of my two machines for .45 Auto Rim. I noticed that on the one I am setting up there is a taper crimp die but there is no shell floor base plug (part #68U).  When I checked my second machine it had a plug and out of curiosity, I tried to install the plug in the first one but it did not fit, it was too long.  The first machine has a ridge/shelf? to stop the plug but obviously it does not allow the plug to fit all the way in.  Of course, I can reverse myself and set up for .45 Auto rim on the second machine but is there anywhere I can buy a short shell floor base plug in case I want to use taper crimps on both machines (one came with set up for .45ACP and another for .44 S&W Spl and I have a tool head set up for .38 SPl)? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Rene

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Shell Floor Base plug
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:32:18 pm »
There are three types of plugs used in Universals.   I suspect that you have the one pictured on the right.  If so it is removable, just push it up from the bottom, or hook it with a wire and pull it up.  It may be held in place with dried lubricant, or with rust, so you may have to work on it a bit, but it is removable.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

rrag

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:09:13 pm »
Thanks!  I removed it by just pulling up with my finger.  I would still like to find another universal plug but at least I can use this one on either machine.

Rene

1TonyE

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 04:24:12 pm »
rbwillnj

Thanks for the tip on shell floor plate bushing/plug(67u&68u). I was just inthe process of figuring out how to remove the bushing so I can place the plug into the slot.  New to reloading and to star alsoso I didn't know I could just pull it out with my finger. Last night was thinking the base needed to be removed. So, you are a life saver or maybe I should say a Starpress saver, mine to be exact.
  I've purchased Ray Brandes's case kicker and indexer. Should be here tomorrow. So the info was timely!!!

Thanks!!

Tony