Author Topic: Case feeder tubes, replacement  (Read 25134 times)

saltydog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Case feeder tubes, replacement
« on: April 01, 2011, 03:34:55 pm »
McMaster-Carr stock bunches of tubes, but not any that would seem to duplicate the Hulme tube measurements.

Granted, my plastic tubes are warped and brittle, but they measure an odd size. 33/64" ID and 21/32" OD.

What have any of you guys used to replace the Hulme tubes?

Thanks,

salty

DPS204

• View Profile
Re: Case feeder tubes, replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 08:15:45 pm »
Salty Dog....I ran into the same problem with my old Hulme tubes that were warped and brittle.

My solution was found at Home Depot plumbing dept.  They have 10 foot sections of 1/2'' CPVC # 4120 pipe labeled "Flowguard Gold."  They cut three of them into 20" sections and I now have 18 tubes that will hold almost 400 cases for about $12.00 and tax.  They work perfectly.  The only drawback is that the tubes are not clear.  I have used mine long enough now that I can listen and hear when the last empty case  hits the base and I know when to change tubes.  I load my tubes after I have finished reloading and have plenty of empty cases, tubed and ready to start the next round.

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
  • Cell - 318-518-0829 Central Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 03:01:22 pm »
Why  > Just 20"  ?
Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain

saltydog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 11:58:42 am »
Somebody has got to have found an answer.  No way that I am the only gent out there whose tubes are getting kinda warped and brittle. :)

Whenever I find a tube listed at McM-C with an ID suitable for .45 cases, the tube OD would seem to be too large for the feeder base. Or, the other way with OD OK for fit to the Hulme base, but ID won't play nice with .45 cases.

These things can't be as rare as hen's teeth or woodpecker lips.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

salty
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:30:20 pm by saltydog »

angus6

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:22:00 pm »
salty hit me with a link for ones that are to big OD and I'll see about tossing them in to the lathe. I'm going to need .45acp and 38 super sizes myself

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 04:00:26 pm »
Hey Guys
McMaster-Carr has tubes that will work for .45 Colt, BUT, they AIN'T CLEAR.........I would prefer Clear, But, I got 2 of them....
 #8628K57  5' $4.73ea
9/16" (.5625") ID  5/8" (.6250") OD

They also have these....5/8" OD & 1/2" ID   #8565K36   6'  $5.73ea
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 01:22:41 am by askimball »
Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain

saltydog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 06:01:21 pm »
And I thank you one and all.

Doc, thats gotta work  Thanks.  Bytheway, you aren't THE Richard Kimball of Fugitive fame are you?

Thanks,

salty

Rolling Stone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
I realize this is sacriledge
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 11:25:27 pm »
I don't know  if any of you have followed the posts on using Lee Collator and tubes with the Hulme but for 45ACP and smaller I can't imagine anything working better. You can buy the replacement tubes (clear) for little or nothing. JMHO. I haven't tried them on anything larger than 45ACP but I would bet they will work on 45 Colt as well.

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 11:43:09 pm »
saltydog
Since you ask, I got the nickname of 'Doc' when I first got on the Police
Dept from the Commissioner, they found out that my father was a Doctor...So Doc has stuck with me since 1960.....Imagine that.....{:-)
Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain

saltydog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 09:22:25 am »
Using the 'search' function and 'Lee Collator tubes' as the target, the only reference was a single post in this thread.

Stone, where are the posts you mentioned?

Thanks,

salty

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 09:38:39 am »
I have talked about it several times in the past.  The Lee tubes are not direct replacements for the Hulme tubes, but the Lee Case Feeder and Lee Collator can be adapted to feed a Star.   I use Lee Case Feeders and Collators on all of my Stars to load everything from .32 ACP to 45 Long Colt and .223.   Works kind of like a Freeloader with multiple tubes.

I'm still planning to create my own version that would be a bit more substantial.

Pictures aren't great, but you get the idea.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:42:19 am by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 09:03:36 pm »
I like the clear powder tube. tt

Rolling Stone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Saltydog, I found it!
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 09:05:11 pm »
I searched my posts instead, try searching for freeloader. If that doesn't work to your satisfaction, try building a freeloader. The freeloader is simply an attachment for the Hulme feeder that collates the cases before they reach the feeder. There is a bowl attached to a tube attached to the feeder. This works great. I have one original and 3 Lee collators on other machines. I have also used the PVC 1/2" pipe with hairpins like primer tubes to hold the cases. I tapered the end that went in the feeler so that it didn't slip out and dump cases all over the floor. Ask me why I decided to do that! I used an approximately 6' piece that held 50 38 spec. so primers & cases would run out at the same time. Wonder how often that occurred? Well I thought it was an acceptable idea at the time. Just have to have a high ceiling, which I did.
RS

saltydog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 07:06:18 pm »
Thank you all.

A revolving case feeder/or primer/bullet feeder may be in the far off future.

Right now, I'm just trying to find a suitable replacement for the existing brittle case tubes. For about the past thirty years, those tubes have been laying cross-ways on the rafters of the garage. 

If I have to stop a few mnts every 50 rounds, to reload/replace a primer and case tube, so be it.

I'll contact McM-C and order the tubes suggested by Doc.

What I receive, and how it works in the Hulme, I'll post.

Again, thanks,

salty

angus6

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 09:02:43 pm »
Different thought
looking at using a SS tube with a .1875 viewing slot milled out of it , kinds like the bullet tube on my lube master.
Anyone use one of the 5 gal. bucket collators to feed brass ?