Author Topic: Case feeder tubes, replacement  (Read 25136 times)

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
  • Cell - 318-518-0829 Central Time
    • View Profile
Re: Case feeder tubes, replacement
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 03:57:55 pm »
angus6
Try This at McMaster-Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-tubing/=bv0x9o
#8978K163  36"  Aluminum Tube    .625 OD x .555 ID  ea $6.14
#8978K635   6'        "           "               SAME            ea $10.96
Aluminum a lot lighter.............

Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain

saltydog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 05:09:57 pm »
The tubes that Doc mentioned in an earlier post arrived this afternoon.

5/8"OD, 1/2"ID, 8565K36, 6' length [no e-mail]@ 5.73 ea. will work.

Thanks Doc.

salty

1TonyE

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 04:51:19 pm »
rbwilling
   Using Lee case feeders and tubes sounds like a grand idea since the Star unit I bought last week doesn't have a Hulme case feeder. Seems like Hulme case feeders are not cheap. What modle Lee feeder did you buy? Haven't seen anyones like it yet.
   Also, I'm new to reloading and to the Star Reloaders. My powder charger slides are 3.5 gr BE. with OO on the side with another reading 2.7 gr BE with OO on the side also. I have one more that is marded like the 2.7 but has a much larger hole for the powder to fill.  Aprrx. 3/8 dia., but not totally rounded. Looks like someone took a hand drill and tried to drill a hole. What Caliber will these first two slides charge??
   Bare with me a bit because I know I'll have some newbie question for you guys. Great forum by the way!!! Keep up the good work and "Let's keep posting!"

1tonye

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 07:42:09 pm »
The slot in the metal case drop tube does work.  I obtained a homemade case feeder with a Star a couple of years ago that was using a piece of copper tubing for the drop tube on the case collator.  I believe the copper tubing is 1/2 inch water pipe.  Anyaway it had a slot filed into the tube about half the length.  A microswitch was used here to contol the motor on the collator but you can also see the cases and know when the collator is empty. It seems to work fine.  On the other hand you can buy 1/2 inch ID clear plastic tubing on Ebay for about a dollar a foot.  I picked up 3 x 6 foot pieces for only about 22 dollars shipped. (Lifetyme supply) Just search polycarbonate or acrylic tubing and you will get lots of hits. Now if I could just get slightly larger tubing for the feeder on the .45 LC machine...  Anyway, there are lots of options that will work. 

John

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 08:10:16 pm »
1TonyE

The 2.7 grain is often used for 148gr .38 caliber wadcutter.
The 3.5 grain is often used for 200gr .45acp wadcutter.

Kenn
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

1TonyE

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 09:48:31 pm »
Kenn

Thanks for the info!! Like I said, I'm alittle bit newbie to this whole reloading thing. What size powder charge bar would be needed for 38 special semi-wadecutter or maybe the next step up. Some type of rounded nose?? Is there a certain powder that needs to be used in the Star Loaders??
   From what I read on here, the Star loader I have is a universal based upon the locating straps(#79u) and the OO marked on the side of the powder slide.  Am i corrrect??
   Any help would be Greatly appreciated!!

Tony

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
  • Cell - 318-518-0829 Central Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 12:32:18 am »
The slot in the metal case drop tube does work.  I obtained a homemade case feeder with a Star a couple of years ago that was using a piece of copper tubing for the drop tube on the case collator.  I believe the copper tubing is 1/2 inch water pipe.  Anyaway it had a slot filed into the tube about half the length.  A microswitch was used here to contol the motor on the collator but you can also see the cases and know when the collator is empty. It seems to work fine.  On the other hand you can buy 1/2 inch ID clear plastic tubing on Ebay for about a dollar a foot.  I picked up 3 x 6 foot pieces for only about 22 dollars shipped. (Lifetyme supply) Just search polycarbonate or acrylic tubing and you will get lots of hits. Now if I could just get slightly larger tubing for the feeder on the .45 LC machine...  Anyway, there are lots of options that will work. 

John
See my post on the 1st page
Doc -
Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain