Author Topic: Trouble with priming system on Universal large primer  (Read 10365 times)

LeupoldMRK4

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Trouble with priming system on Universal large primer
« on: May 15, 2011, 10:39:59 am »
  My primer slide isnt pushing in far enough to line the prime with the center of the primer pocket.  There is very little misalignment but is noticeable.  I m probably talking less than .020".   I say this because if I push it in the rest of the way by hand it seats the primer fine.   It returns far enough to feed a new primer. Is there any way to adjust this or is there need for new parts with some custom fitting?

Dave

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Trouble with priming system on Universal large primer
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:02:50 pm »
You can adjust alignment of the primer punch with the primer slide by bending the Angle Lever Cam #49U inwards or outwards.  To make the primer slide go in further, bend the angle lever cam outwards....just a little bit.

Does the number on the Angle Lever Cam match the number on the tool head?

Bruce
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

LeupoldMRK4

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 12:42:00 pm »
Your right i did change the tool heads. I think thats when the problem started.  So the cam #49 must be custom fit to the machine its installed on. 

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 01:44:51 pm »
Star did a pretty good job of making it so that you can swap different tool heads on different Universal machines.  However, you cannot put a Progressive tool head on a Universal machine and vice verse without also changing the angle lever cam.

So did the tool head you are using come from a Progressive?  If so, you will not be able to bend the angle lever cam enough to compensate.

What I asked was if the number on the angle lever cam is that same number that is stamped in the tool head in the round cut out next to where the angle lever cam mounts.   If the numbers don't match (number and font), it is not the cam that was fitted to that tool head at the factory.

Bruce
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

llwsgn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 02:06:47 pm »
Hey Bruce, I've been following this post. Thanks! the input is benefitting me as well. Do you know if there are other things that could come into play when exchanging tool heads, and how to identify them for issues?
Thanks again!

LeupoldMRK4

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 04:43:32 pm »
I dont know the origin of the tool head ......uninversal or progressive, who knows. It fits the column real nice.   The cam moves the primer slide about 95% to were it needs to be.  It just needs a little bit more.  I mean a very little probably less than a 1/32" or even a 1/64".   I wonder what the best way to tweak the cam would be.  use heat or no? Leave it on the tool head while I bend it?

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 07:18:48 pm »
I wouldn't use heat.  You can bend it.  Leave it on the tool head.   To bend it in, I give it a couple light taps with a dead blow hammer.  To move it out, I generally find some way to get a wrench on it and bend it out.  You don't have to bend it very much to change the adjustment quite a bit.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Jep

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 10:26:13 pm »
Hi:
  I was able to adjust the cam on the tool head by slipping a large box end wrench over the cam and pushing on it. Be careful and check often to see if it has moved enough.
Jep

LeupoldMRK4

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 09:29:12 pm »
All is good now.  I had to pull the bend the cam out just a little and it works as it should now. Thanks to all for you help.

Dave