Author Topic: Star Lifetyme Dies  (Read 23617 times)

pcmacd

• Active Members
  • NRA / CRPA Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Star Lifetyme Dies
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 08:58:25 pm »
Oh, and, I read in this thread some loose references to adapters for these dies on eBay.

A recent search there, as well as the CH4D site, found nothing like this.

It would be a wonderful thing to get that 2 stage Star 38 SPL die onto the first stage of my

• Dillon 550, but I could settle for a standard ring for my

• Forrester Co-Ax

Suggestions?

tx

mac

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 11:26:24 am »
Greetings Mac,

Redding make a 2-stage sizing die with 7/8-14 threads...

http://blog.sinclairintl.com/2012/01/27/redding-dual-ring-sizing-dies-for-pistol-cartridges/

Your two Lifetyme dies intrigue me. I would like the opportunity to examine them first hand. I am wondering if the second die is for the 32-20 cartridge?

Cheers,

Dave

pcmacd

• Active Members
  • NRA / CRPA Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 10:14:50 pm »
Greetings Mac,

Redding make a 2-stage sizing die with 7/8-14 threads...

http://blog.sinclairintl.com/2012/01/27/redding-dual-ring-sizing-dies-for-pistol-cartridges/

Your two Lifetyme dies intrigue me. I would like the opportunity to examine them first hand. I am wondering if the second die is for the 32-20 cartridge?

Cheers,

Dave

I was considering something close to your thoughts when I saw your reply, thanks.  Drag out the books.  

Well, both the 32-20 Marlin and 32-20 Win have mouth diameters of about 0.3266", according to Howel's "Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges", page 238.  This would give us a neck sizer of, very roughly, 0.323".

A 25 caliber round would have a neck sizer of approximately 0.270"

A 7mm caliber round would have a neck sizer of somewhere south of 0.300.

What the what?  The pin gauge does not lie.

AND... I would still dearly love to use the Star dies I have, rather than buying a new one, even if I could sell the Star 38s for more than the cost of the new Redding dies.

Some more detailed input from 'yall on the topic of adapters on eBay and such would be heartily appreciated!

mac

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:17:38 pm by pcmacd »

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 11:07:03 pm »
I haven't seen any adapters on eBay in a long time, but they wouldn't be too hard to make.   7/8-14 thread on the outside, 11/16-24 thread on the inside, probably a thin flange on the top so they would maintain their position.

I'm interested in your Lifetyme 30 Carbine die if you are interested in selling.

On a side note,  I had a conversation with Dave at CH4D a couple years ago and he said he had a "Star" 32-20 shell plate and dies set.  I didn't ask if the sizing die was carbide or Lifetyme.   I did ask if he was willing to sell, and he wasn't.   I don't think he knew if he could find it either.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com