Author Topic: Husband and I reload on old Star Progressive...  (Read 13828 times)

targeteers

• View Profile
Husband and I reload on old Star Progressive...
« on: October 18, 2003, 04:00:06 pm »
I shoot a S&W K38 Masterpiece and husband shoots S&W Model 52. We are both shooting the same caliber so we are able to do budget reloads on an old Star progressive. My husband keeps it cleaned and oiled regularly and only replaced a few broken springs after years and 25 thousand rounds have passed through.

Our guns and reloading equipment will last longer than both of us. We provided for them as part of our will so that they do not get sold off on eBay to someone that doesn't know the first thing about them. Sad state of affairs. Find someone that is interested and set them up right! Make sure your shooting and reloading equipment is safe. It is all we may do to be responsible and influence the next generation.

Reloading on the Star goes faster when we both take turns pulling the handle. We use the same components but my husband says to keep what each of us reloads separate.  He says it is important but I am not sure why? He shoots better and more often, so I do what he says. Does anyone else do this?

It is wonderful that we share this activity together. It is tiring to sit down in the basement and do it by yourself for an hour or two.

We'll both watch for interesting bits.

k6tc

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Husband and I reload on old Star Progressive...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003, 04:57:00 pm »
Quote from: targeteers
I shoot a S&W K38 Masterpiece and husband shoots S&W Model 52. We are both shooting the same caliber so we are able to do budget reloads on an old Star progressive. My husband keeps it cleaned and oiled regularly and only replaced a few broken springs after years and 25 thousand rounds have passed through.

Our guns and reloading equipment will last longer than both of us. We provided for them as part of our will so that they do not get sold off on eBay to someone that doesn't know the first thing about them. Sad state of affairs. Find someone that is interested and set them up right! Make sure your shooting and reloading equipment is safe. It is all we may do to be responsible and influence the next generation.

Reloading on the Star goes faster when we both take turns pulling the handle. We use the same components but my husband says to keep what each of us reloads separate.  He says it is important but I am not sure why? He shoots better and more often, so I do what he says. Does anyone else do this?

It is wonderful that we share this activity together. It is tiring to sit down in the basement and do it by yourself for an hour or two.

We'll both watch for interesting bits.

***I remember when we were just getting involved in competition 4 of us formed a team to load and share equipment that would allow for a real effort at the trophies each month.. four young married men with one loading station 4 single stage RCBS presses and all the accessories to make it all go as fast as was possible. we would load for three nights a week every week, componets were bought wholesale through our local P.D. we exchanged training for the street officers for that privilege, load all the time was more like it to shoot one afternoon at Wes Thompsons range in Saugus... this was all before the freeways that would make the trip about 1/2 hour from my home in South Pasadena...used to take close to three hours on old San Fernando road...lol load all week to shoot one afternoon. well it worked all of us did pretty darned good against the other guy's and gals in the league and then one day we met a man that owned a STAR!.. something of a legend to us in those early day's. I was offered a demostration and from that very day nothing short of the birth of another chiold would stop me from having one of those wonder and FAST machines. Six months behind was the message from my local gun shop, SIX MONTHS!!!!! I couldn't believe it and $175.00 for the basic machine (Universal)... an almost unbelieveable hurdle to jump to a newly married father with a brand new house to pay for... Over the years I continued to buy machines to complete the heads and accessories I had bought now I have four the main fact is that I was trying to impress myself as well as I had become lazy about the retooling and all...four of those beautiful machines on the bench with their lubersizers too...all of them have every accessory Star or anyone ever made for them...gad! am I windy or what? can you tell of my affection for my Stars? until later my friends....Tom (K6TC)
I own 4 Universal machines in 6 calibers and hopfully anough spare parts to keep them going for many years...

Mike Walsh

• View Profile
The Great Star
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 07:36:44 pm »
I own three machines and one extra tool head.  I reloaded part time for a
local range in St. Louis, MO..  The first was a Progressive in 38.  I think it  has loaded a million rounds of wadcutters without any repair but decapping pins, (from no fault of the machine).  I purchased it from Gil Hebard Guns in Knoxville, IL..  Year about 1975!  I was also competing in the St Louis Police Metro League trying also to keep up on single stage press.  The supervisor I worked for at the Academy Armory owned 2 machines in 38 and 45.  I was sold from there on.  Also own a Star Sizer.  I had a friend looking for machines and found two at a gun show, price $50 for both.  I was tickled he acquired them.  They need some TLC and a few parts.  One had a special aluminum base that caught the spent primers and a shoot for the loaded rounds.  I would be interested to know what calibers of dies and shell plates are available other than 38, 357, 9MM, 45ACP, 44MAG, 30M1 and accesories.  Also does anyone know if Hulme Case Feeders are still available.  Glad I found you all.

TDO'NEILL

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 07:32:29 am »
Mike
By now Bill must be making dies for the .40 , When I talked to him several years ago he was going to start offering them soon.
I bought a set of 9mm dies and a shell plate from him the shell plate had 9mm and .40 etched on bottom of it.
TDO'NEILL

Ross Chesley

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chesleyconsultants.com
Hulme case feeders
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 01:33:37 am »
I spoke to Bill recently and asked about this. He says it will be after the first of the year, but they are in the works. Good news.

Ross

HOS

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2003, 01:13:03 pm »
Hi Mike, Are you the Mike Walsh from MIWAL ammo in Grass Valley?
HOS(Hank)
HOS