Author Topic: forum "sticky" posts? (industrial supply x-ref)  (Read 6494 times)

Kirk A

• Active Members
    • View Profile
forum "sticky" posts? (industrial supply x-ref)
« on: June 15, 2011, 02:07:43 pm »
I haven't seen any "sticky" posts here, but I would like to nominate the capability for reference topics. Perhaps hosted in a new "room"? Can we achieve any consensus regarding "stickies", pro or con? (Sticky posts are usually held in place at the "top" of a set of topics.)

Here's one reason why I'd to nominate this capability... Soon after arrival & cleaning, my first two Stars were immediately placed into use. My recent addition -- a third Star and second Universal -- is getting a more detailed "restoration", together with a caliber change, etc. One of the sillier things I'm doing this time is replacing all of those fillister screws whose heads have been boogered-up by the poor application of the wrong screwdriver. So, I am creating a cross-reference for all of the standard screws, like parts#s 72, 73, 76, 79U, 81, 82, and 86. And maybe more before I'm done. Bill's prices for these are beyond expectation.

My local industrial supply shop actually distinguished between standard fillisters and the Star screws which he called "cheese heads" (a la block of cheese). I don't see that distinction in most industrial supply catalogs; is there a better jargon name for these? Unfortunately, he didn't have "cheese heads" in the 1/4-20 size needed for two part#s.

Additionally, I would like to stir up discussion of your recommended materials, ranging from steel to stainless steel to even brass.

Similarly, I plan to document the hairpin cotter pin sizes for the 1) primer pickup tubes, 2) part# 65 link pin (lower), and 3) part# 64 link pin (upper). Perhaps there are more.

There are probably some other "standard" parts which would be valuable to cross-reference.  In time, I will follow-up with my data. I encourage anyone else who has similar information to do the same. And perhaps we will all be able to reference this by a sticky at some future time.

-Kirk
Distinguished Pistol
Distinguished Revolver

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
  • Cell - 318-518-0829 Central Time
    • View Profile
Re: forum "sticky" posts? (industrial supply x-ref)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 03:53:57 pm »
SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA.. ;D
LOT's of LUCK........ :D
Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: forum "sticky" posts? (industrial supply x-ref)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 08:39:01 pm »
Some of the screws on a Star are true Fillister head screws.   These are available through McMaster Carr in boxes of 100, but very reasonably priced.  These include the screws that hold the shell locator straps, the screws used to secure the powder slide cam to the aluminum base, and although not Star, the screws used on the Hulme Case feeder Cam. 

Others screws were most likely machined by Star, or custom made for Star.   Although they sort of look like Cheese Head Screws, there is an important difference.   True "Cheese Head" screws have a metric thread.   If you do a Google for "Cheese Head" screws, all you will find is metric threads.   I have searched high and low duplicates of those Star screws and have not found anything close.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com