Author Topic: Broke a Star!  (Read 18316 times)

jcw1970

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Broke a Star!
« on: July 02, 2011, 09:31:38 pm »
Well I don't know how it happened but my sizer that I use 50/50 lube in died today. This was my oldest Star. I was lubing up some 38 wad cutters. I hadn't been straining or anything, they were going through fine, putting a lubed one in every 10 or so boolits. I ran out of lube, so I take it apart and put a new stick in, got everything back together, pulled the handle and it spit out a boolit with no lube, ok tighten up the plunger, pull the handle and again no lube. Get to looking and the fulcrum bar isn't even touching the pump plunger. Looking closer, the fulcrum lever bracket is almost cracked all the way down the bracket on the tube. Don't know how it happened. I only use this one for 50/50 and pistol bullets. I was sizing 356 to 3555. Looked at magma website and on the part drawing it says this is a factory only part. Any ideas out there? Any one got a parts sizer they want to part with?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 10:04:16 pm by jcw1970 »

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Broke a Star!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 09:49:47 pm »
I have replaced that part on several Stars.  I was able to get the part from Magma.  Don't know if Magma has changed their policy, but I had no problem getting the part.

The repair is very difficult.  The castings are pressed on.  Difficult to get off,  difficult to get on.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

jcw1970

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 09:55:49 pm »
Would I just be better off selling this one for parts and using that money towards a "new" Star?

angus6

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 10:35:31 pm »
jc I'd put the part in an oven at 350 , check with a heat stick, once at temp I'd think it might go fairly easy , works great for bearings any way. I'd put a hose clamp on tube as a stop
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 10:38:50 pm by angus6 »

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 11:28:54 pm »
If you want to get rid of it, I'm sure we can work out something.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

dbltapster

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 11:14:39 am »
I recentlly had a Star that was leaking badly around the plunger body.  Because of this leak, It did not have the pumping power to inject the lube into the die.  It was an older Star that had the hardened steel blind pin that held the pump bushing in place.  I sent it back to Star.  They were able to replace the pump, and get the old girl back into working order.  With shipping (both ways), it cost me apprx. 60 dollars.

If you call Magma, I'm sure they will help you.  If you explain the problem accurately, they should give you a ball park estimate for the repair before you ship it to them....at least they did for me.

I figure a $60 replair was better than a couple hundred dollars for a new or used one!

JK

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 12:09:24 pm »
Back a few years ago when I did this repair on a couple of Star sizes I talked to Star and they said it wouldn't be worth it to me to have them to repair them.   Of course Star sizers have gone up in price quite a lot since then, so It's worth a phone call.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 05:59:51 pm »
For a home remedy, I would suggest you try some J&B weld.
I have never had to use it on my stars but have used on other items with great success.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

jcw1970

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 10:50:19 am »
Called Magma and they said just to send it and they can weld it back up. Said it would cost 15-20 bucks. So I'm shipping it out today.

jcw1970

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 06:00:47 pm »
Well, got my sizer back from Magma today. It's perfect. The weld looks great and it works just like it use to. They had to remove some of the paint on the bracket but I don't mind, it's pretty beat up anyway. Did a little test, sized about 50 35863 down to .3555 and the fulcrum bracket didn't move at all. My H&G 251 is .356 so I don't usually notice any resistence when sizing. So they fixed the bracket and I also had the handle collar replaced because it was broke for a total of $62.65 which includes shipping both ways. Sure beats $275 for a new one.

Stillwater

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 01:30:32 pm »
Well, got my sizer back from Magma today. It's perfect. The weld looks great and it works just like it use to. They had to remove some of the paint on the bracket but I don't mind, it's pretty beat up anyway. Did a little test, sized about 50 35863 down to .3555 and the fulcrum bracket didn't move at all. My H&G 251 is .356 so I don't usually notice any resistence when sizing. So they fixed the bracket and I also had the handle collar replaced because it was broke for a total of $62.65 which includes shipping both ways. Sure beats $275 for a new one.

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add this to it.

I have an ancient Star Lubrisizer that has had the same fix. As this old Star Lubrisizer approaches it's sixtieth birth day (Long in the tooth?) it keeps on rocking along. Star did the repair when they were in business.

Bill