rare
« on: July 10, 2011, 07:52:43 pm »
Whats the hardest dies to find ? I've yet to see a set of 38 Super

leatherguy

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: rare
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 01:19:46 pm »
I don't know how rare these goodies are, I thought they were worth mentioning. In an old cigar box that my Dad had for his extra reloading parts, I found a set of phelps 38 S&W dies, and a "Lifetyme" 44 sizer/decap die with 7/8x14 threads. I don't think the 38S&W dies are rare, but I don't know for sure. I never heard of Liftyme with 7/8X14. On another note, for the use of the word RARE, I just bought a Star that looks like it was made this morning, with an extra head, and dies & shell plates for 38sp, 45acp, 9mm, and 44mag. I feel like I hit STAR MACHINE LOTTO! To find all that in one buy is definitely RARE! I need new GUNS! I now have 3 Stars, and 1 Phelps. Back in the 50's, my Dad used the Phelps to feed the family by loading for all the local police departments.

Sorry if I got carried away! I like conversation about RARE!

Rolling Stone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 03:38:59 pm »
I bought a 7/8-14 Lifetyme .45 Colt sizer/decapper off an auction site back in April. That was the 1st die of theirs I had seen in the larger size. My Hornady press likes it much better than the Lee it had been using. There is some difference in the entrance radius that makes brass feed easier.
Rolling Stone

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 04:36:10 pm »
Probably the most rare of the (desirable) Star dies would be 40 S&W.   This cartridge came out in 1988, and Star closed their doors sometime in 1993.   I have never seen an actual Star/Lifetyme set though I seem to recall that another member said they had one.

I have talked to people who said they had Star dies in 32-20 and 475 Wildey, but those might be one of a kinds.   I have a set in 32 ACP, and that's pretty rare.

38 Super is not all that uncommon, though most sets are labled 38 ACP.   Same dimensions, just a different loading.

Of course these days, you can probably get any caliber you want from Dave Wilson.   Dave made a 25 ACP sizing die for me to complete a die set I had acquired elsewhere, but was lacking the sizing die.  I still need to make a "0" powder slide that throws 1 grain of Bullseye, then I will be able to start loading those little things.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

gilmarc74

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 03:16:45 pm »
I bought my first star in 1976 in 38 spec since then i have bought several heads with original dies from star before they closed shop also have a set of 40 cal from star do not know how rare they are 2yrs ago bought a star in 45 cal with original star dies can not see how these dies are rare.

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 11:55:37 pm »
According to my old invoices, I bought tools heads in 32 ACP, 32 S&W Long and 475 Wildey.  There was a lot of the more standard stuff, but these are the oddballs I found invoices for.
former progressive press collector

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 12:59:51 pm »
Greetings Ken,

What is a 475 Wildey? Is it a straight wall case?

Was the Sizing Die Carbide, made by LifeTyme, perhaps? If so, was it marked and finished in chrome plate like the 38 Special and 45 ACP dies?

Cheers,

Dave

maurilew

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 04:23:25 am »
fc60
Google has a very complete article about the 475 Wildey Pistol.

maurilew
maurilew

angus6

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 10:44:25 pm »
According to my old invoices, I bought tools heads in 32 ACP, 32 S&W Long and 475 Wildey.  There was a lot of the more standard stuff, but these are the oddballs I found invoices for.

Got a complete new in boxes set of the 32 L , I'm guessing these are the 32 S&W ?

cc656d

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 11:25:26 pm »
Does it have the 1.7 BE charge bar?
Distinguished pistol shot
2600 club
NIB Star
Benefactor member NRA
Life Member Va, Md, WVa, and Fl State Shooting Associations , Life OGCA

angus6