Author Topic: Difficult primer seating  (Read 15505 times)

Ken

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Difficult primer seating
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:20:37 pm »
I fired my Universal up after 20 years of storage. I checked everything out first, and the primer seating anvil looks fine, no binding, etc. Does anyone know why once fired Federal brass (45 ACP) binds the machine up resulting in no primer being seated? Even primers that seat correctly seem to take a little more pressure than what I remember (maybe I was stronger 20 yrs ago!). Any thoughts? Thanks.

Jep

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Difficult primer seating
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 11:09:44 pm »
Hi:
  I have found some .45 ACP brass that has small primer pockets.  They do bind up the machine. 
Jep

Ken

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 11:54:45 am »
I think I found the problem with the primer holes. I mic'd the  problem cases and found the primer holes to be about 40 thousands smaller than a standard large pistol primer. Perhaps this brass is not intended for reloading??

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 02:16:01 pm »
Some Winchester cases (marked NT) use small pistol primers rather than large pistol primers.  NT = Non Toxic.  I haven't heard of Federal doing the same thing, but maybe that's what you have.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:56:09 am by CDRT »
Distinguished Pistol Shot

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 10:13:10 pm »
A primer pocket reamer may help the situation.

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 10:24:14 pm »
After a Hundred Years of Near Perfection, Someone came along with a bright new Idea to change something that didn't need changing, I wonder if OBAMA had anything to do with these small Primers ? Oh well, Just a thought.

Good Shooting

Lindy

leatherguy

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 04:58:31 pm »
Thought you would like to know! I picked up some 45 brass after an IDPA shoot last week, and when I was loading them, the handle on my star stopped DEAD, like I hit a wall. it was Federal brass cases with small primer pockets. I am glad I read about this on the forum. That was the first place I looked to see what the problem was. I never had my machine stop like that! Check the primer pockets!

Pappy

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 06:41:27 pm »
When most of us buy large amounts of brass is can be interesting to find that 45 ACP as we all know has some strange cousins..... 45 GAP, also has a small primer pocket... Locks up the press RFN. At that point it is clear what G A P stands for... I just wonder, Why would anyone put themselves in a position that Ammo for a side arm would be a non standard hard to get in a pinch, 45 ACP SHORT just my thoughts . JP

joe3320

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 10:05:13 am »
Hi all,

It appears that all .45ACP brass was made with small primer pockets back in the day.

It was made larger to satisfy government contracts for the military in the late 20's-early 30's.

Here is some history about the .45 and the brass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp-HFVG_c4Q

johnfreeman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 07:33:18 am »
Federal seems to be the biggest group of knotheads offender in my samples, with BLAZER being the one I find most often.  I presort my brass but inevitably some squeak through.

It's a perfect answer to a question nobody asked. Undoubtedly some beancounter breakthrough to save money...