Author Topic: convert progressive .38 to .32?  (Read 11334 times)

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
convert progressive .38 to .32?
« on: September 22, 2011, 08:44:47 pm »

Hi guys, I was wondering if it is possible to convert a 38 special progressive machine to a 32 caliber, or is it necessary to have a universal machine?  I have an "extra" progressive in 38 and would like to possibly make the changeover.  I ask because I thought that some of the early Stars were in 32 caliber (still popular as a police cartridge before the 38 special took over) and that these were progressive machines.  This may not be that popular of a caliber these days, but I have been interested in setting one up.  Anyone else have a Star that they use to load 32?  My interest is in 32 S&W long here, not 32 auto. Thanks.

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: convert progressive .38 to .32?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 12:46:28 pm »
Greetings,

I load 32 S&W Long on a Universal.

Star did make a 32 Progressive at one time. The #12 Steel Floor Base would have been specially cut to accommodate the 32 versus the 38.

If I had a Progressive in my shop, I would carefully study the option of machining the slots to accept the #79U Shell Base Locating Straps.

The #31 Powder Measure Spout would have to be changed out as well.

Cheers,

Dave Wilson

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 04:35:09 pm »
Thanks for the reply Dave.  A couple of questions; Re: machining the base, are you saying that the 32 shell plate would not fit on the progressive frame?  I am not sure what machining for locating straps would do for you in this instance.  Is the shell plate for the universal slightly larger?  You are right about the powder spout, I have been thinking about modifying one that I have to get a reduced bore.  I appreciate any clarification.

John

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 06:55:52 pm »
Greetings,

First, a disclaimer. I have never seen nor worked on a Progressive. I only know what I have read about them here and old Handloader magazines.

The straps are used to push the case into the shell plate thus aligning it with the dies in the tool head. A 38 Special case is 0.379" diameter and the 32 S&W Long is 0.337" diameter. So, with my trusty calculator, you need to push the 32 case 0.021" toward the center of the machine to align it with the dies in the tool head.

I measured a 38 shell plate and it gauged 3.614". My 32 plate measures 3.580". The internal bore is about 1.248" so the 32 plate "should" fit into the press.

The shell plates were machined such that when changing calibers you would rotate the shell plate 30 degrees out of index and adjust the straps so they just barely clear the outside diameter of the shell plate. This provides the proper alignment of the brass cases.

Since I do not care to modify the Star machines from original I have to reprimand myself for considering such an endeavor. If I had an original Progressive I would leave it alone in 38 Special. Perhaps one day I will stumble on to an original Progressive set up in 32 S&W Long.

Cheers,

Dave

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 08:57:03 pm »
Thanks for the clarification Dave, I was not thinking about the adjustment to push the cases in far enough to have them positioned correctly under the dies.  That 0.021 would be a bit of a show stopper.  I too am not a fan of carving up a Star so I may just leave the progressive alone and keep my eyes open for a decent .32 caliber machine.  Maybe someone would be interested in a trade sometime.  Thanks again for your insight.

John

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 12:39:46 am »
Original Star/Lifetyme 32 S&W Long Dies and Shell Plates are among the rarest, thus most difficult parts to aquire.   Finding a 32 S&W Long Universal or Progressive would be quite a score.  Fortunately, there are alternatives.  You can have Dave Wilson make the Dies, and Rich Daniels make the Shell Plate. 
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 05:53:36 pm »
Bruce, I am afraid you are right about finding the press.  I am not sure that I have seen one for sale in several years of off and on looking.  Good thing we have the members with the expertise to make some of these parts.  I will probably get in touch with them soon.  Thanks for the input.

John

Sherwood Arms

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 02:04:03 pm »
For what it is worth I have Star Universal Reloader with a tool head set up with Star/Lifetyme 32 S&W dies, shell plate etc. (including the powder drop tube).

I would prefer to sell both of my Star Universal Loaders with 8 tool heads all together (see listing under for sale) but if that fails I would consider just selling the .32 S&W Lifetyme dies and Powder measure spout.

I believe others are correct in that there would be some changes needed before a Progressive loader could be used for .32 S&W.

Jerry Mc

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 08:18:58 pm »
Jerry, I responded to your other thread in the buy/sell area.  I am not really interested in the whole setup, if you find a buyer for everything that is good.  If not, and you are parting things out then I would be interested in the Lifetyme .32 die set and the small powder drop funnel.  I recently picked up an old 38 universal for not much that I want to set up in 32 S&W.  Drop me a PM.

John