Author Topic: More Information soon, Please introduce yourselves...  (Read 46919 times)

HOS

• Active Members
    • View Profile
More Information soon, Please introduce yourselves...
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2003, 10:09:34 am »
T.H., I might sell it, what are they worth?  Thanks for the info on the .32, I'll give him a call.  I know James H. I buy win. AA cases from him occasionally.
HOS
HOS

Thomas Harrell

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Hi HOS,
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2003, 04:46:17 pm »
Hi HOS,

I really don't know what they are worth.  Don't have a clue.  
But if you have the rectangular one that is blued with no rust, in good working condition with the triangle do hicky that opperates it I will offer 85.00 plus shipping.  What will you take for it??

Tom Harrell
Sunny Florida
Thomas Harrell R. Ph.
North Fort Myers, Florida

HOS

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Hulme
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2003, 09:28:35 am »
I'll try to look at it today and see what the configuration is.
HOS
HOS

JOE DEE

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2003, 10:16:28 am »
LOOKING FOR AUTO INDEXER AND TAMPER CRIMMER DIE FOR MY STAR MACHAINE DIE SIZE 45ACP ALSO POWER BAR 4.0GR
THANK YOU FOR YOU HELP
JOE DIDONATO (JOE DEE )

HOS

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2003, 11:08:55 am »
TH, The Hulme feeder is as you said but I think I'll keep it for awhile.
I spoke to James H, yesterday but he wants 800 for the used .32 and admits it's from a commercial loading operation and has loaded 100s of 1000s.  I've bought several over the past few yrs. and never paid over 300 for a used machine even with case feeders and his has nothing but the bare machine.  I didn't even pay that much for my brand new one.
Are used machines bringing that much now?
HOS

Thomas Harrell

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Yes they are high and getting higher.
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2003, 11:28:38 am »
Yes,  They are getting more expensive all the time. I just paid 1245.00 for one on e-bay but it was as new condition with all the bells, whistles, and extra head. Around 30 to 40 years old.   Just like off a show room floor.  Best machine I have ever seen, best one I got now.  James is a retireing commercial reloader.  He rebuilds the Stars.  He has tons of parts to fix em up like new.   His machines are first rate mechanical condition.   I have seen them.  He helps me rebuild mine too.  I buy some old ones too and fix em up for fun.  If you want to sell the Hulme case feeder. Please call me. I will give as much as anybody maybe more.  

Have a great Christmas and happy New year!!!!

Best Regards

Tom Harrell
Thomas Harrell R. Ph.

starrel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starreloaders.com
Cost of used Stars these days...
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2003, 11:48:04 am »
As much as I would like to say it, $300 Star Universals are not easy to come by. If you find them, please let us all know where.

Not that I recommend, but eBay has had a recent supply of  .38/.45s running from incomplete or very used at $350 to upwards of $1200 with extra tool head/dies, case feeder, indexer, powder slides. A tool head with Lifetyme dies has been running $300+...  The avg Star Universal is about $550 in decent condition .45 with case feeder. Condition is used carefully as most sellers that make them look pretty do not always have any ideas about wear, maintenance, etc.

In 1981-1983 Star Universals sold new at $925 to $1125...

Still better to go for a commercial unit in good repair where someone can assure it is working properly... Millions of rounds was not an exaggerated claim for the well-maintained Star.

I still like finding Stars from the original owner when they stop reloading. These are the best and they will prove it with helpful advice, setup, and where to find parts or fixes. Very resourceful Star owners are the norm.

I am looking forward to the holiday downtime to post loads of scans and newly received literature on maintenance, accessories, and Star articles from various members and sources.

A recent e-mail had a Hulme-like casefeeder for $180+. More info soon.
Admin StarReloaders.com

Thomas Harrell

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Ditto Starrel
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2003, 03:15:29 pm »
Yes Sir you got that right!!!!!!

You can get some deals on e-bay bad and good!!!!!!!!!!!
Buyer Be ware!!!!!!

You can polish up a worn out machine and make it look great but still be loose and worn.   You can not see if a machine is mechanically tight.

If you get one from Bill or James They guarantee what they sell.
I have dealt with both. Both are honest and great to deal with.  
I know James sells all his Stars with no questions money back.  
They both want you to be happy with the Star Reloaders.  

Bill Cunningham
STAR MACHINE WORKS
P.O. Box 1872
Pioneer, California 95666
phone 209-295-5000
fax 209-295-3394
http://starmachineworks.com/index.html

James Haverfield
13651 Sophomore Lane
Ft Myers, Florida 33912
phone 800-557-4376
Thomas Harrell R. Ph.

Oscar Orum

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Auto indexer and/or Chevron Case Master or similar type
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2003, 03:44:04 pm »
As noted, I am a new kid on the block. Using my universal star in different calibers for over 20 years but have been unable to locate a Chevron Case Master. Is any available? New, used or I would even attempt to build one with directions and encouragement.  I use a Hulme Case feeder and have very recently thought of an auto indexer. Would appreciate you comments and suggestion on these items.
Now a word of praise for the webmaster.  Thank you so very, very much.

Oscar Orum

HOS

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2003, 02:18:03 pm »
Speaking of Star prices, a few yrs. back a friend showed me a Star that was owned by a Police Reserve unit.  It had been sitting in a basement for yrs. and the tool head would't move and the powder slide cover was broken.  He wanted to know if I could fix it and how much he should offer for it.  I said jokingly, about $25 .  He offered this and they took it, soaked it in a 5 gal bucket of solvent.  installed a new size die, a new spring , a new top for the powder slide, cleaned it up and it performed as good as new and is still cranking out ammo.  They're amazing!  We also bought 2 , 10 cav. H&G bullet molds from them and pd $50 each for them,
twice as much as for the Star.
HOS
HOS

Thomas Harrell

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Plastic Case Tubes for Hulme
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2003, 06:01:30 pm »
Anybody got any ideas where to get plastic tubes for the Hulme Case Feeder.
Thomas Harrell R. Ph.

Thomas Harrell

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Auto indexer and/or Chevron Case Master or similar type
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2003, 09:20:44 pm »
Quote from: Oscar Orum
As noted, I am a new kid on the block. Using my universal star in different calibers for over 20 years but have been unable to locate a Chevron Case Master. Is any available? New, used or I would even attempt to build one with directions and encouragement.  I use a Hulme Case feeder and have very recently thought of an auto indexer. Would appreciate you comments and suggestion on these items.
Now a word of praise for the webmaster.  Thank you so very, very much.

Oscar Orum

Hi Oscar,

I was at James Haverfield's house last weekend.  I asked him if he had a Cheveron thing.  He said he did.  Call him.

Tom
Thomas Harrell R. Ph.

DMarley

• View Profile
New Member - Wondering how to use a star reloader
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2004, 04:55:26 am »
Good Morning all,
My name is Dean Marley, I currently live in Mountain Home ID.
 I inherited my grandfather?s Star (Universal - I believe) Reloader. I have already sent in copies of the price list and instruction sheet for the archives. I feel kind of dumb for asking a question like this... but how does a person use these machines? I grew up reloading on a rock chucker. The machine I inherited is in excellent condition, however I have no idea how to use it and my father really doesn't remember either. Is any one out there willing to explain to me how to use this machine?
If you need to see pic's of the reloader and extra equipment I have. E-mail me and I'll send them to you.  
 What I do know about it is that my granfather bought it new, with an extra head w/38 spl dies, sizer/lubercator. The head in the machine has 45acp dies in it.  The price list is dated 1953. Both powder slide housing bases has an "00" stamp. The lubricator/resizer has two dies for it one for the 38 and one that is for the 45 (.452).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dean Marley

Thomas Harrell

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: New Member - Wondering how to use a star reloader
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2004, 08:02:41 am »
Quote from: DMarley
Good Morning all,
My name is Dean Marley, I currently live in Mountain Home ID.
 I inherited my grandfather?s Star (Universal - I believe) Reloader. I have already sent in copies of the price list and instruction sheet for the archives. I feel kind of dumb for asking a question like this... but how does a person use these machines? I grew up reloading on a rock chucker. The machine I inherited is in excellent condition, however I have no idea how to use it and my father really doesn't remember either. Is any one out there willing to explain to me how to use this machine?
If you need to see pic's of the reloader and extra equipment I have. E-mail me and I'll send them to you.  
 What I do know about it is that my granfather bought it new, with an extra head w/38 spl dies, sizer/lubercator. The head in the machine has 45acp dies in it.  The price list is dated 1953. Both powder slide housing bases has an "00" stamp. The lubricator/resizer has two dies for it one for the 38 and one that is for the 45 (.452).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dean Marley
[no [no e-mail]@.com

Check your private messages!!!!!!
Thomas Harrell R. Ph.

Ray Brandes

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Ray-Vin.Com
Newbee
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2004, 06:18:27 am »
Hello,
My name is Ray Brandes. I live near Marianna, FL. I have a Star .45ACP on the way. I am a distinguished rifleman, etc., but have yet to shoot my first bullseye match.
I have a full machine shop with foundry and I am looking forward to using my Star not just to reload, but as a model for making replacement parts.
Regards, Ray
Regards, Ray