Author Topic: Swapping in a new sizing die  (Read 14504 times)

Two Alpha

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Swapping in a new sizing die
« on: October 19, 2004, 12:14:50 am »
I've run into a bit of a snag swapping in a new sizing die.

There was a .400 die in the machine when I bought it and I'm thinking that I should probably be using the brand new unopened .401 that also came with the Star for the box full of .40 bullets I've already cast.

No problem getting the .400 die out using the proper Star tool that also came with the machine.

When I went to press in the .401, it would only go approx. 3/16 of an inch and that was as far as I could get it to go as I didn't want to do any damage.

This die appears to be an authentic Star die as it has "Star San Diego" on the top of it. I've cleaned it with brake cleaner and wiped it with a light lubricant and still no luck.

What's the best "tried and true" way to get this die installed?

Two Alpha

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 09:36:14 pm »
Hmmmm? With only 12 views so far, I guess it is possible that no-one here has had this same problem before.

Two Alpha

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 09:39:16 pm »
O.k., solved this one myself. The Luber-Sizer came with a heater, after applying heat for an hour or so, I was able to tap the cold die into the base with ease using the top die housing.

dd in MA

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Swapping in a new sizing die
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 03:32:11 pm »
Two Alpha.  I have recently acquired a Star Lubrisizer but do not have the tool.  I have borrowed on, at least I think that I have such an item.  It is in three pieces.  A handle with a threaded rod coming out of it; total length is 4 inches with threaded portion 3/8th inch long.  Second is a short rod with threads 3/4 of an inch of its total 2 inch length.  Same thread as item 1.  Third is a larger diameter item 3/4 inch long; top (??) portion is 1/4 inch and 11/16ths diameter; with remaining 1/2 inch length threaded on the outside 7/16ths diameter.  Item is threaded inside and both first two items can thread into it. 

Cannot figure out how this set of parts works and I can find no pictures of info in any of the Star literature that I have.  Any help will be appreciated.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 06:12:38 pm »
OK,? Pictured below is the Star Die Removal kit (this one purchased from Magma Engineering)

1.)  Remove the bullet punch, and install Part A where the bullet punch used to be.
2.)  Thread Part B into Part A.
3.)   Lower the handle to push out the bullet that remains in the sizing die.
4.)   Remove Part B from Part A, and thread Part C up through the sizing die and into Part A.
5.)   Lift the handle, pulling out the sizing die.

You may need to heat up the Lubrisizer as you would for sizing in order to accomplish the above steps.
Actually, I never use the kit,  I just use a wooden dowel to push the sizing die up with my knee.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 06:17:58 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

454PB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 11:25:22 pm »
I recently built a new sizing die for my Star from scratch. I've made my own Lyman 450 dies for many years, but the Star design has some different "challenges".

On the homemade die, I reduced the larger diameter by .0005 to .7495, and the new die can be removed without the tool. I was a little concerned that it might leak out the bottom of the casting, but so far no problems