Author Topic: Back Home  (Read 10210 times)

Dave T

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Back Home
« on: March 03, 2012, 03:56:50 pm »
Checking in to say "Hi" after a long spell away from reloading.

About 3 years ago I thought I wasn't going to be able to shoot anymore (physical disability) and sold off all my reloading equipment, including a 20+ year old Universal I had bought new and used constantly all those years. Fortunately I have recovered some, or more accurately adapted to my limitations and started shooting and loading again.

After about a year on a SDB from brand "X" I found a used Star Universal a month ago for a very reasonable price. It was set up for 45 ACP, like my original one. It had set for quite a while un-used and was dirty and gritty. I've cleaned it up and been trying to set it up for the last week. My powder bushing set is not very useful to me (wrong sizes for what I used to load) so I've been experimenting with various loads and powders to get something workable. Every few days I venture out to the range with the chronograph, only to find out my results are seldom what the loading manuals say (LOL). No surprise there for most of you I'm sure.

Anyway, I remembered finding this forum and selling my old Star to a member here so I thought I would return and make some new friends and pick your brains once in a while. Good to be back, both in shooting and re-loading and to being a Star Universal owner.

Dave

dbltapster

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Back Home
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 10:48:17 pm »
Welcome back!  Glad you are aboard. 

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 11:23:06 pm »
Welcome back to the fold Dave, this is a really good forum with lots of helpful folks.  Glad that you found a Star that you can use to get back into the groove.  Sounds like you moved from one blue press to the "original" blue press. 

Dave T

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 12:24:51 pm »
Thanks guys.

Based on just the number of WLPs I bought, the original Star loaded some 350,000 rounds of 45 ACP in 20+ years. With all that time on a Star it really does feel like coming home. At the same time, I don't have a single bad thing to say about those other blue progressives. I've cranked the handle on several of them for thousands of rounds too. They are good machines as well.

Like my beloved 1911s and N-frame S&Ws, the Star is kind of "old school" and that's not a bad thing to be. (smiley face goes here)

Dave

Dave T

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 03:03:07 pm »
Just had to post this up-date.

The guy who sold me the Universal called the other day and said to stop by his house when I could as he had found something that went with the Star. I was in his part of town yesterday afternoon so I stopped by and he gave me a J.Hoag, adjustable powder bar. Now wasn't than a nice surprise?

I used to know Hoag personally as he built a couple guns for the wife and I in our competition and badge wearing days. He is one of the good guys so getting one of his adjustable powder bars was just great. Haven't been able to get the grin off my face since then. (LOL)

Dave

cary

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 05:24:22 pm »
As everyone has said, WELCOME BACK!

1TonyE

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 05:40:51 pm »
welcome back and congratulations on the addition of the hoag powder bar!!
That would make a nice addition to any reloading set-up.  :)