Author Topic: Star Reloader Indexing?  (Read 14944 times)

30calfun

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Star Reloader Indexing?
« on: March 18, 2012, 04:01:17 pm »
I have a Star Progressive Reloader purchased in about 1960 that was given to me by my father that I have not used in probably 15 years. The shell plate does not index when I pull the lever and I could swear I remember it indexing. Is there something that I need to check or does the shell plate not index on this model? Thanks for the help.

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Star Reloader Indexing?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 05:01:03 pm »
Without attachments, the shell plate is rotated by hand.  The same is true on both Universal and Progressive models. tt

30calfun

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:13:25 pm »
Which attachments does it need to automatically rotate? I have the auto case feeder. I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to assemble the safety cam and spring. The parts list I have does not illustrate this very well so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
  • Cell - 318-518-0829 Central Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:14:10 pm »
30calfun
Check this web site out, it's the BEST INDEXER Out there.......

http://www.sbsdistributing.com/index.php?pr=Star_Press_Accessories

Brief Instructions: The safety cam snaps into place when a loaded round hits that station.  You need to manualy push the safety cam back after removing the round from that station.  The idea is to force the operator to stop and reset the safety cam so the press can operate.

Click on the Picture, this might give you a hind for installing............
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:52:53 pm by askimball (Doc) »
Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain

Rolling Stone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Well, that's not exactly how I do it!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 11:18:27 pm »
What I've discovered after running a few of these  machines for years is that if you are going to use the safety cam successfully, you need to be dropping the loaded cartridge out the bottom of the machine. This is where the insert at stage 5 should be removed to allow the case to drop out the bottom. The only cases that can do this are flanged cases that are made different than most rimless cases. The only sizes I reload and use the cam are .357/.38 Special. I hope this helps. There are several indexers that can be added. Do you happen to have a black wrinkle finish part with two holes and some springs and a slide you don't know what to do with? That could be a Brewster indexer. We need more info.
Rolling Stone

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:40:02 pm by Rolling Stone »

Kirk A

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:37:48 am »
I'll happily second the referral of the Ray Brandes' Moon Unit Indexer -- and his case kicker too, both now manufactured by SBS since Ray retired. I don't use these on my Progressive and it is still pleasantly quick. While I do not have personal experience with other indexer designs, I would like to point out what I believe is a distinguishing feature -- with both positive and negative aspects.

To my understanding, the Moon Unit may be unique in that it indexes on the UP-STROKE of the handle. That allows good control of the speed and abruptness of operation. With other designs I have heard that the abruptness can lead to powder spillage if one is not careful. The flip-side of this design feature is that is diminishes the ease of tool head (caliber) changes, because the bushing that drives the system captures the top surface of the tool head.  If you don't plan to change tool heads, it is a great solution.

As I believe others have mentioned, if you use the Case Kicker, be sure to get your custom "short" taper crimp die from Dave Wilson (fc60).
Distinguished Pistol
Distinguished Revolver

30calfun

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:31:03 pm »
Thanks for all the info. I do not have an indexer of any sort that I have found yet. I have everything up and operating but I still can't figure out how the safety cam works. The bullet seater die hits it if I lower the handle all the way. I do not remember using this feature, must have had a pretty good process to have kept myself from double charging any loads.

Rolling Stone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 09:28:27 pm »
I don't see how it could interfere with the bullet seater die in station 4. I haven't tried but I know it will interfere with station 5 if you have a taper crimp die in that position. What caliber are you loading?
Rolling Stone

30calfun

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 10:45:46 pm »
I stand corrected, I do have a taper crimp die and it is in station 6 (with station 1 being where the case is inserted). I am loading 45 ACP. The post that the spring cam is mounted on is offset of station 6 and the taper crimp die hits the spring cam when the head is lowered. Thanks Rolling Stone for the help.

Rolling Stone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 11:38:00 pm »
I have a case kicker I use when loading .45ACP and it does roughly the same thing as the safety cam. The big deal is that the case has to be out of that stage before the plate can be indexed. I must have had a flash of CRS not numbering the stages correctly. If you get a chance to use an indexer and case kicker on .45s you will have to have them. I did. Now wait until you get a small primer mixed in with the others (with large primers) and you will pull out the rest of your hair. Good loading. We're here to help.
RS