Author Topic: WTB... 2 star reloader aluminum base plates  (Read 18811 times)

lobo solo

• Active Members
    • View Profile
WTB... 2 star reloader aluminum base plates
« on: April 21, 2012, 01:09:34 am »
Just shipped 2 complete star reloaders with tons of extra stuff to myself from Colorado... my father passed away and left me everything... only problem UPS damaged both of them... one base plate cracked and the other is now in 3 parts... anyone have some help or ideas where I can find this???
after I go thru everything.. I can help out with extra parts ... shell plates and omg all kinds of parts..

If UPS cant come up with a fix...for my claim  I will have 2 complete reloders that will be parts..
please help............

Jim
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 02:01:40 am by lobo solo »
Jim

dbltapster

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: WTB... 2 star reloader aluminum base plates
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 09:52:44 am »
WOW!  That stinks!  To say I would be upset, would be an understatement!  Were the packages insured?  Good luck with your search for those parts.

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 12:49:31 pm »
Greetings,

Without seeing the damage it is hard to offer a solution.

Myself, I would contact a certified welder that specializes in Aluminum.

After weld prep and final welding, you can blend in the bead with a small disc sander.

There is a remote possibility that Bill Cunningham has two bases in stock.

Cheers,

Dave

LeupoldMRK4

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 02:31:19 pm »
I think USP shipping comes with $100 insurance automatically. 

Problem might be they will say they were not packaged properly.

I have seen some welder before .......So it can definetly be done.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 04:20:09 pm »
Bill Cunningham does have new aluminum bases.   You will have to remove the dowel pin in the bottom of the steel base and once the aluminum base is properly positioned on the steel base, drill a new hole into both the aluminum and steel base, and insert the dowel pin to hold the aluminum base in the correct position relative to the steel base.

The new aluminum bases are not drilled for the dowel pin, and the location of the dowel pin is not standard.  Even if you are able to obtain a used aluminum base, you would still have to go through the same procedure.

I can do it for you if you don't have the resources to do it yourself.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

DDStraitwell

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 06:35:44 pm »
For what it's worth there is a gentleman in NJ - Ed Broadback- who has a world of parts for the Phelps machines. A lot of these will interchange with the Star parts, some are a little diffirent. Siince parts are in short supply I'll give you his e-mail address and you can contact him if the parts are not available from Star sources. I talked to him just before sending this and he has shell plates for the Phelps. His e-mail is   fast8eddie  at verizon dot net   .  He is very knowledgeable on this type of machine and may be able to help anyone looking for parts. I have many Stars and two Phelps so I know a "little" about these machines. I have Dillon 1050's and 550's BUT they are not Stars!!!  If you have trouble contacting him my e-mail is    dstraitwell  at  aol  dot   com.     DDStraitwell

lobo solo

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 10:40:36 pm »
To... rbwillnj
How do I get ahold of Mr Bill Cunningham so I can find out a price for 2 alum bases???
I will need this info for UPS.

Thanks for the help

Jim
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 10:51:22 pm by lobo solo »
Jim

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 12:44:52 am »
Best to send an email.   http://www.starmachineworks.com/
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 12:49:40 am »
Although many/most Phelps parts are interchangeable with Star parts, the aluminum base is very different.

For what it's worth there is a gentleman in NJ - Ed Broadback- who has a world of parts for the Phelps machines. A lot of these will interchange with the Star parts, some are a little diffirent. Siince parts are in short supply I'll give you his e-mail address and you can contact him if the parts are not available from Star sources. I talked to him just before sending this and he has shell plates for the Phelps. His e-mail is   fast8eddie  at verizon dot net   .  He is very knowledgeable on this type of machine and may be able to help anyone looking for parts. I have many Stars and two Phelps so I know a "little" about these machines. I have Dillon 1050's and 550's BUT they are not Stars!!!  If you have trouble contacting him my e-mail is    dstraitwell  at  aol  dot   com.     DDStraitwell
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

lobo solo

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 02:51:13 am »
Thanks guys... you have been awesome... sent a e mail to him.   was very upset about what happend. my Dad loved these re loaders. I remember being stuck reloading ammo with his first star when I was 14-15 yrs old... I'm 50 now and they work flawlessly
Jim

lobo solo

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 01:17:07 am »
Rolling Stone..... thanks... let me check mine and see if it looks the same... but thank you soo much..
folllow up.. UPS called wanted me to ship both reloders to them to have a inspector look at what happend.. I was like "NO" thats what got them broke...so now there gonna come to my house...
Jim

angus6

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 11:59:02 am »
The one time I went through this with UPS it was very smooth

lobo solo

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 02:38:47 am »
Thanks everyone for all the good ideas ... still not sure what UPS is gonna do but had to take matters in my own hands and had the first base plate that was in three parts.. welded... still got some more work on the outside but... very happy now!!! ;D
Jim