Author Topic: Adjusting the Hulme  (Read 7114 times)

diamon4u

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Adjusting the Hulme
« on: May 12, 2012, 12:28:10 pm »
I am new to Star Machines just having purchased a Universal in 45. So far, I have installed a case kicker and indexer and they work just fine. The Hulme is another story, as it keeps tipping the brass going onto the stage. I have tried moving the triangle up and down on it's perch, but that doesn't seem to work either? Any ideas in STAR LAND? Thanks

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Adjusting the Hulme
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 01:06:45 pm »
Greetings,

Look at the aluminum plate on top of the Hulme. One side may have a notch and the other plain. If not situated already, try rotating the plate so the plain side is facing the Star machine.

Cheers,

Dave

Steve Doering

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 02:41:43 pm »
I had this problem with my .45 and a Hume type case feeder (its not marked, so I am not sure who made it).  It would feed .45's perfectly with the plate turned upside down (set for .38 Special), and I finally discovered that either the cases were a little too long or the distance between the bottom of the feed trough and the bottom of the plate was too short.  Eventually I milled a small amount from the bottom of the top plate, and everything has been fine since. Otherwise, you can trim your cases.
S B Doering

rangedog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 10:31:50 pm »
Hello,
I load about 600 38supercomp rounds a week on my Star, and spent a lot of time getting the Hulme to feed reliably....nearly drove me mad...
I only get about 1 misfeed in a 1000 cases now, which I figure is not too bad.
The solution for me was to place a bushing/fitting between the feed tube and the Hulme top plate, which effectively makes the top plate hole that the case drops through much smaller.
The bush is only a few thou larger than the case diameter so the case is consistently delivered into the body of the Hulme in a perfectly upright position.....this completely solved the tipping over issue for me.
The bottom of the bush sits flush with the bottom of the Hulme top plate.
Good luck!