Author Topic: Heater Base  (Read 12527 times)

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Heater Base
« on: December 08, 2004, 11:26:56 pm »
Just in case you haven't tried one yet, Lyman makes a heating base that you can use with your Star Lubrisizer.   It's drilled and tapped for a number of popular sizers, including the Star.   At Midway, it goes for about $35.  It's not as sophisticated as the Magama heater, but a lot more economical.   It allows you to use the hard wax lubes in a Star, or use it on a cold day to add a little heat to your soft lubes.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

GeraldChainsaw

• Active Members
    • View Profile
lub and sizer
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 02:40:17 pm »
i've got a question for u,   i have 2 star sizers,  i use lyman lub and to me its really messy,    i do have a heater for the sizer, do u think i could go for a harder lub, use the heater, and after sizing,  the lub would set up and not b as messy

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Heater Base
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 03:21:11 pm »
That's what I do.   I have used the Lyman Orange Lube with the heater and it works fine.   I have switched to the Magma Research Lube because its a lot cheaper.   I believe it's $10.00/lb, which is equivalent to about 9 sticks of the Lyman Lube.  

The Lyman heater base heats up very slowly.   Plug it in and walk away for 30-40 minutes.   After a while it may get too hot, especially if your not sizing a lot of bullets.  In that case, just unplug it and let it cool a bit.

Magma Research also offers a Heater for the Star sizer, but it's about $100.  It has an adjustable thermostat.  The Lyman heater is good enough for me.

As for how it will work with your loads, I can't say.   It works very well with my 45 loads.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

454PB

• View Profile
Re: Heater Base
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 12:51:14 am »
I recently put the heating unit out of an old coffee maker under the base of my Star. It actually is too big, 900 watts. However, it heats it up in about two minutes and has a built in thermostat.