Author Topic: Bullseye Powder Charges for 4 Guns?  (Read 8524 times)

Welsh Rifleman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Bullseye Powder Charges for 4 Guns?
« on: October 09, 2012, 10:49:50 am »
I am a fairly recent member of this forum....but not recent to reloading and shooting.  In recent years, most of my shooting has been with off-hand shooting of single shot black powder cartridge rifles.....from 32-40 to 45-70 calibers.  I "mix" my own lead and tin to a 20 to 1 ratio for my cast bullets.  I have been using 2 Star Lube-Sizers for many years.

I recently "acquired" a Star Reloader in 38 spl cal and bought an additional one in 45 acp cal.  These machines have re-kindled my interested in getting my "bullseye" pistols out and blowing the dust off to see if I can still hit the black paper once in a while.  Not that I was ever very competitive....but I always had fun sending lead down range from a classic one-hand position.

I previously used 231 as my powder of choice....but now want to use Bullseye....so I have some questions on the charges that you have found to be a good place to start for the following bullets and guns.  I know there are many threads on this forum containing information that helps on this quest and I have read most all of them to get a starting place for my questions on powder charges.

45 acp.....185 gn Lead SWC.....Colt Series 70 Gold Cup National Match

45 acp......185 gn Lead SWC.....Smith & Wesson Model 25-2

Question: What are my chances that the same powder charge will work for both 45 acp guns?

38 spl......148 gn Lead HBWC...Colt 1960's Vintage Gold Cup National Match

38 spl......148 gn Lead HBWC...Smith & Wesson Model 14-2

Question:  What are the chances that the same powder charge will work for both 38 spl guns?

I am fairly comfortable with the mechanical aspects related to the feeding and ejection issues and spring changes required when working loads.  I need some "wisdom" on the powder charges that you would recommend for Bullsye Powder.  I have a chronograph if you have recommendations on velocity.  My goal is not necessarily to make "one hole" but to rather....keep them all in the black!

Thanks for your participation in this forum.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:53:18 am by Welsh Rifleman »
NRA Patron
American Single Shot Rifle Association
Texas State Rifle Association
Single Action Shooting Society

xring2245

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Bullseye Powder Charges for 4 Guns?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 10:36:39 am »
45 acp.....185 gn Lead SWC.....Colt Series 70 Gold Cup National Match

Does this gun have any type of optic sight mounted on it?  Usually 3.5 gr. BE will work for open sights.  A heavier charge is needed if there is a slide mounted sight - usually in the 3.8 to 4.2 range.

45 acp......185 gn Lead SWC.....Smith & Wesson Model 25-2

You can go lower, say 3.0 gr. of BE.

Question: What are my chances that the same powder charge will work for both 45 acp guns?

3.5 gr. will work in both guns, assuming the M1911 is open-sighted.

38 spl......148 gn Lead HBWC...Colt 1960's Vintage Gold Cup National Match

2.5 gr. should work well in this gun, depending on the strength of the recoil spring.  If it doesn't, try 2.7 gr.

38 spl......148 gn Lead HBWC...Smith & Wesson Model 14-2

2.5 to 2.7 gr. will shoot well in this gun.

Question:  What are the chances that the same powder charge will work for both 38 spl guns?

Yes, see the above info.
James J. Grimes
NRA Endowment Member
Distinguished Pistol #1496
NRA Distinguished Revolver
ATA Trap
Muzzleloading

Welsh Rifleman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Bullseye Powder Charges for 4 Guns?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 11:07:08 am »
Thanks for this information and advice!

I only shoot open sights with the original sights that came on these guns.  So, it seems that makes it simpler between the pistol and the revolver using the same load.

Thanks again for contributing on the forum.
NRA Patron
American Single Shot Rifle Association
Texas State Rifle Association
Single Action Shooting Society