Author Topic: Modify for Auto Eject???  (Read 13211 times)

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Modify for Auto Eject???
« on: October 19, 2012, 05:01:15 pm »
Greetings All,

I have a Star with a "modification" to the base as shown in the two attached images. The wire in one image was there as received.

Bill Cunningham offers a modification for "Auto Eject". Is this modification the same?

Cheers,

Dave

http://home.comcast.net/~fc60net/IMG_0011.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~fc60net/IMG_0012.JPG

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Modify for Auto Eject???
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 01:21:40 am »
Dave
I would be interested in how well this modification works, Have you reloaded with it ? and if so did it work OK without binding or jamming ?
I have reservations about cutting the floor base on these old machines, but if it the Mod. works well...., it appears to be about as simple as can be.
Perhaps someone who has seen/used this Mod could chime in and give Us some details.

Good Shooting

Lindy

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:23:35 pm »
Greetings Lindy,

Just finished disassembly and cleaning. I have not loaded with it, as yet. I will try the feature one day and report back. Normally, I do not use any auto eject devices. I prefer to remove the finished round and place it directly into an MTM storage box.

The purpose of my post was to find out if this is the modification offered by Bill Cunningham.

Cheers,

Dave

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 07:29:56 pm »
I have seen this on several machines, if the wire is installed right, it should work, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

Lifetyme

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 01:32:24 am »
Hi Dave.

That is not the modification Bill showed me years ago.  His went from the outer base and touched the center shaft if I recall correctly.  The modification shown reminds me of a mod some local Bullseye shooters did years ago.  The would file off the angle on the base as shown, then drill and tap the side of the base to secure a bent bicycle spoke to act as ejector.

Regards.

Bob
Best Regards.

Bob

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 12:26:34 pm »
Greetings Bob,

Thanks for the added info.

The modification I have does work and the finished cartridges spill out onto the table.

Since I load my ammo for testing barrels I place each round in a storage box after crimping using my fingers.

Cheers,

Dave

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 06:16:11 pm »
Thanks Dave for letting Us know that the Mod. does work. Now I will have to try this on one of my machines as it appears to really simplify things, no moving parts is
sometimes a good thing.  I'm hoping the wire will allow the use a of Taper crimp die in the last station. Thanks again.

Good Shooting

Lindy

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 07:17:33 pm »
This past Weekend I applied this modification to one of My Stars that is set up for .44 mag, And was pleasantly suprised to find that it worked very well. It allows the finished round to exit the machine flawlessly on to a homemade metal ramp into a container. all this without any moving parts. and it leaves enough clearance for a
taper crimp die. I will be modifiying the rest of My Machines this coming week.

Good Shooting

Lindy

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 10:30:29 pm »
How can I get a couple of them? tt

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 11:08:14 pm »
I used a Dremel machine with a cut off wheel to cut away the railing on the base and then finished up with a file useing the pictures from FC60's post at the begining
of this post as a guide. Then drilled a hole large enough to fit the wire size and about 3/4 inches deep into the top of the rail and another hole in the side of the base to put a set screw (tapped for 6/32) to hold the wire in place. Then bent and shaped the wire as per FC60's pictures and then assembled and tested. everything worked.
The pic's from  FC60 were an invaluable guide for this project. Thanks FC60 !

Good Shooting

Lindy

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 02:07:17 pm »
Thanks Lindy, I'll give it a shot.  tt