Author Topic: Harvey Protex Bullets ???????  (Read 13688 times)

maurilew

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Harvey Protex Bullets ???????
« on: January 17, 2013, 06:56:51 pm »
Has anyone out there experimented with this bullet ?
Found a box of washers, mould with handles in a pile of gift material l got the other day. Don,t they go way back in reloading history?

Gratfull for any info   Maurilew "Ma"
maurilew

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Harvey Protex Bullets ???????
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 07:43:52 pm »
The only things I can remember seeing about these are from articles in Reloaders digest from years ago.  The washer on the base of the bullet was supposed to prevent leading and leave a smooth zinc coating in the bore of the gun.  It was an interesting variant to a gas check.  You were also supposed to be able to push the velocity of lead bullets and minimize leading in the bore.  It was an intriuging idea, but did not stand the test of time.  I will do a bit of digging and see if I can find references to those articles.  I have never used them personally, great piece of handloading history though.

lotech

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 01:39:27 am »
The most recent article I am aware of was in HANDLOADER magazine five or more years ago; another in either GUN DIGEST or HANDLOADERS DIGEST along about the same time. Kent Bellah, well-known gunwriter in the '50s & 60s was an advocate of the various Lakeville Arms products and he wrote about all of them. Bellah, from Saint Jo, Tx died in 1966. One problem with the zinc washers was the loose and non-uniform dimensions to which they were cut and varying bore sizes. In theory, they were supposed to have a "scraping action" and "Sherrardized" (coated) the bore as inventor Jim Harvey called it. I've used the washers with some success.

Crosbyman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:46:01 pm »
If anyone needs it, I have a Harvey mold.

johnfreeman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 07:43:27 am »
There's this info available (if a bit spendy) too.

http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=424