Author Topic: Older Star sizer seized- need assist..  (Read 12664 times)

randrbullets

• View Profile
Older Star sizer seized- need assist..
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:22:19 am »
I have an older Star Sizer that has a main part seized. The part in question is the shaft that holds (1) the handle on the right and (2) the actuator arm that moves the punch up and down the two vertical shafts. There appears to a pin of some type running through the center, as it is visible on the left and appears to go through almost to the right, just shy of the part that holds the handle. Newer Stars and Magma's do not have this pin. Also, this Star is mounted with an air-powered actuator ram that activates the "handle" for lack of a better word. It has worked fine since I bought it a couple of years ago, keeping in mind, that I use it everyday.

Question is- Can I punch out this pin with a drift type punch and not cause any damage or is there something else that needs to be done first. Any help would be appreciated. If anyone wants a picture of the set-up with the air ram, I can supply one. The operation is great at saving the strain/repetition on my right arm.
Thanks in advance- Rick at R & R Bullets, Maitland, ONtario Canada.

Jim S

• View Profile
Re: Older Star sizer seized- need assist..
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 01:31:46 pm »
What is the best beeswax mixture of grease for a Star with heated base?
Where can I get grease for my Star Lubicrator and sizer?

Jep

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 02:19:06 pm »
Hello:
 Shoot Good
Jep I use Blue Angel from Thompson Bullet Lube Company.  My C and H heater is set half way between low and medium.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 02:52:34 pm »
randrbullets,

Can you post a picture of the pin you are referring to?     Most Star sizers have a cast and machined crankshaft that goes through the aluminum casting.   On the right side there is a collar that holds the shaft in place.  The handle goes through the shaft and the collar.   Take a look at parts diagram from Magma Engineering.   http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_Sizer.pdf

Having said that, I have seen a picture of a very very old Star sizer where the chrank shaft was made in two pieces.

Jim S

Its better if you start a new topic rather than add on to a non-related topic

I have an older Star Sizer that has a main part seized. The part in question is the shaft that holds (1) the handle on the right and (2) the actuator arm that moves the punch up and down the two vertical shafts. There appears to a pin of some type running through the center, as it is visible on the left and appears to go through almost to the right, just shy of the part that holds the handle. Newer Stars and Magma's do not have this pin. Also, this Star is mounted with an air-powered actuator ram that activates the "handle" for lack of a better word. It has worked fine since I bought it a couple of years ago, keeping in mind, that I use it everyday.

Question is- Can I punch out this pin with a drift type punch and not cause any damage or is there something else that needs to be done first. Any help would be appreciated. If anyone wants a picture of the set-up with the air ram, I can supply one. The operation is great at saving the strain/repetition on my right arm.
Thanks in advance- Rick at R & R Bullets, Maitland, ONtario Canada.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:06:48 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

dbltapster

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 02:04:33 pm »
See the link below.  I helped another member with a similar problem on an old(er) model Star sizer...

http://www.starreloaders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1717.0

Jon.