Author Topic: "CPM" press (Star clone?)  (Read 8944 times)

johnfreeman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
"CPM" press (Star clone?)
« on: March 16, 2014, 12:54:26 pm »
I was looking though an old issue of HANDLOADER and there's a small advertisement for what looks like a Star clone from a company called "CPM". 

Has anyone heard of these or owned one? If there's interest, I'll scan the (grainy) photo that is in the advertisement and post it here.

John

PS: Looks like there's one or two posts about this here in the older forum notes.

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: "CPM" press (Star clone?)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 01:00:05 pm »
Greetings,

I have a CPM press with 38 Special/357 Magnum and 45 ACP shell plates. You use standard 7/8-14 RCBS style dies. It also has a powder bar that uses the Hornady 1/2" bushings. Also, the is a powder shutoff built into the hopper, very nice.

My machine came with a Chevron Case Master and some sort of bullet feeder that I quickly removed. The Case Master works very well.

It is very much like a Star in design. It does weigh more than a Star and the shell plates are a larger diameter.

I do not use it much at all any more since most of my loading is done on the Star.

CPM was short for Clyde Products and Machine. Located somewhere in Ohio, I believe.

Cheers,

Dave

cc656d

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 07:51:29 pm »
If my memory is correct Gil Hebard sold them . Had a pic with listing in catalog [no e-mail]@ / 80 .
Distinguished pistol shot
2600 club
NIB Star
Benefactor member NRA
Life Member Va, Md, WVa, and Fl State Shooting Associations , Life OGCA

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 12:46:21 am »
Here is a link to an earlier thread on CPM reloaders.  I think there were others too.
http://www.starreloaders.com/forum/index.php?topic=664.msg2322#msg2322

And yes,  Clyde Ohio.  Whirlpool used to have a big plant there that I visited often during an earlier career.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 12:06:16 am by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 12:07:51 pm »
Greetings,

I have all of Gil Hebard's catalogs and the CPM was not listed. Phelps were offered first then Star.

Cheers,

Dave

johnfreeman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 06:58:56 am »
I'll scan the ad and post it here when I get a breather from work.
John

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 10:49:01 pm »
Bill Detloff was the owner of the Clyde co which made the CPM. A BE shooter, he and his wife shot in our winter league, attended our matches, Camp Perry, and matches in NW Ohio.

From this he learned Stars were hard to get. He felt their price could be beat and improvements made. He designed, copied?, his machine and made a hundred or so of them. As I recall he purchased a number of the base castings. I think their were a few castings left over. Likely a very few.

He sold everything and purchased a sailboat and lived on it traveling widely. A close friend (mine) was also a good friend of the Detloff's and after Bill sold the loader portion my friend sold a few loaders and various left over parts for Bill. There were also some black powder pistols & supplies.

3 of my friends obtained loaders from Bill by working their purchase price off in his business. Bill passed on several years later.

I made a number of attempts to contact the new owner with no success. I was trying to locate parts for a friend who had moved.

Ron Habegger