Author Topic: Newby  (Read 6495 times)

revoman

• View Profile
Newby
« on: April 22, 2014, 04:34:04 pm »
Hello all, I'm new to the site but not new to Star. Been using Star machines since the early 80's when I began competitive pistol shooting. I currently own a very old Star for my .38 Special reloading. Currently have the press in operation. Just taking a break. Just found the site and wanted to get some history on the machine. I have no idea how old the press is. It  has USDJ 527 stamped on the base. The base was broken,still is, but works. I suppose it was once Border Patrol since at the time, I was working 25 miles from the Marfa BP Sector HQ. I had used other Star's with the Hulme case tubes and auto indexers. My press is plain manual and setup for 2.7GR Bullseye. I nearly just bought a new Dillon but I thought I'd give this old girl another run.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Newby
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:06:19 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  There is lots of great information here, and nice folks as well.   If you browse around the Star History section you will find some posts that can help you narrow the date range for your machine.   

Star made very few changes to their reloader during the many years it was in production.  There are no serial numbers or date codes to aid in dating your machine.   So unless you have a receipt from Star, or the newspapers your reloader was originally packed in, there is no way date it with any certainty.   If you post a picture, we might be able to help narrow things down based on the few design changes.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com