Author Topic: bring a press back to life  (Read 8515 times)

Hosspower

• View Profile
bring a press back to life
« on: July 27, 2014, 06:16:50 pm »
Hello all,
       I just pulled 2 star presses out of my late fathers reloading room in the house.  1 is setup for 38 special and the other has 44 special dies in it.  I would like to get the 44 press up and running again.  Can I use the dies in the press for magnums?  I am attaching pics.  Am I missing anything?  It looks like there should be a case feeder tube?  I have done some reading on here but I'm a bit confused on the powder charge bar.  I would like to get 1 for the mag load I use.  How do I know what to get?  I've read 1/2", 5/8"?  Are these still produced?  I apologize for the poor pics.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i347/Hosspower44/IMG_20140727_173645_299.jpg

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i347/Hosspower44/IMG_20140727_173727_507.jpg

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i347/Hosspower44/IMG_20140727_173754_969.jpg

After I pulled the presses out I'm think I had seen a box in the garage with different heads.  I will have to look for these again.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: bring a press back to life
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 10:38:53 pm »
You should be able to use the 44 Special Dies for 44 Magnum.   In fact the Lifetyme carbide sizing die probably says 44 Spl/Mag.   You will need a different top plate for your case feeder.   You need an M3A which is for Magnum length cases.   It looks like you have an M3 installed.    I have M3A's if you don't find one with the rest of the parts.  I also have a solution for you for case feeder tube.

5/8" powder slide are generally used for 44 Magnum, but depending on your charge you might be able to use a 1/2" powder slide.   I sell 1/2" powder slides along with spacers to convert the powder slide housing so it can handle the 1/2" powder slide.   I plan to make 5/8" powder slides in the future, but probably won't be till this winter.

What is your Mag load.   I can tell you if you can do it with a 1/2" powder slide or if you need a 5/8" Slide.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 11:09:05 pm »
Hosspower
Looking closely at Your Pic's I noticed the Primer Magazine is missing.  You will need the "large primer mag" for .44 caliber.

Good Shooting

Lindy

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 11:51:40 pm »
I have primer magazines and followers as well.

Bruce
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Hosspower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 09:47:21 am »
Guys,
        Thanks for the repies!!!  My load is 23.5 grains of 296.  My brother and I just ordered 1000 nosler 240 grain hollow points.  The star will be a great way to get 'em stuffed.

rbwillnj,
        Would you be able to pm me a price on parts I will need?

After I got things cleaned up the main return spring has gotten weak.  The head sags about an inch after the handle is raised.  Are these available also?

My dad had a huge collection of ham radio equipment and parts.  I hope I seperated the star parts out when i found them.  If I did they will be in the loading room he has in the garage.  I won't be able to look for these until next weekend.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 10:18:27 am »
With a 1/2" powder slide you would need a hole size of 0.487" to drop 23.5 grains of Win 296.   While that is possible with a 1/2" powder slide, I may not be able to get there with the ones that I offer.   The 1/2" powder slides that I sell have a bushing in a 1/2" hole.   The bushing would have a wall thickness of and the 0.013".   I could probably do it, but that's getting pretty thin.   The slide without a bushing (1/2" hole) would drop 24.75 grains of Win 296.

If you find a 1/2" or 5/8" powder slide marked for 20.5 grains of 2400, it should give you 23.5 grains of Win 296.

I'll send a PM with details on how to contact me about the other items if you need them.

Bruce
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com