Author Topic: Complete restoration road block....  (Read 6902 times)

Bones813

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Complete restoration road block....
« on: November 03, 2014, 02:43:27 pm »
I've just started my first complete restoration on a universal. Is there a good way to separate the crankshaft assembly (62) from the crankshaft bearing (60)? I've tried driving the pins out with just a hammer and a punch, but before I get to aggressive with it, is there anything I need to take caution with?
Thanks,
Tom
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 03:35:42 pm by Bones813 »

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Complete restoration road block....
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 04:27:28 pm »
Tom,   The crankshaft assembly is put together using a hydraulic press and a special fixture to assure that everything is in perfect alignment.    A hydraulic press, and something to properly support the assembly should be used to assemble and disassemble the crankshaft assembly and crankshaft bearing assembly.

I can help you with this.......but why do you want to take it apart?

Bruce
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Bones813

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Complete restoration road block....
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 04:49:41 pm »
I was thinking about taking it apart to completely clean, paint and re-blue everything. But I think I will just do some careful masking. I'm assuming I would also need a hydraulic press to separate the steel floor plate (12) and column shaft (58) and alignment would be a real pain without the right jig.
I think I'll just leave it all together for now.... Until I change my mind again.
Thanks,
Tom