Author Topic: 3 Star Machine Presses, 2 Others, and some parts.... What's my value??  (Read 8897 times)

purduman

• View Profile
Gentlemen,

My father-in-law passed away a few months ago, and I have been asked to help sell his reloading equipment.

I will first offer that I am very new to reloading and have not used the equipment myself, but have had the pleasure of shooting the reloading ammo my FIL has done with very satisfying results.

He was meticulous with the use and caring of his equipment.

We have 5 total presses.  3 Star Machine Works Press, 1 CPM Press (Clyde Products Manufacturing) and 1 Phelps Machine Works Press.  We also have a Chevron Case Master feeder, Box of spare parts and some original manufacturers documentation.

I have loaded some pictures for anyone to view.

I am hoping to get some general value and information of the equipment before we start selling off the presses, etc.  If anyone can offer their time to give me some input I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!

-Erik

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Star Machine Presses, 2 Others, and some parts.... What's my value??
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 02:10:33 pm »
Are you ready for some work?  First, learn something about each machine so you can describe each in more detail.  You already know the manufacturer for each.  For the Star machines, determine for each if it is a Progressive or Universal model.  There are posts with pictures on this website that will show the difference.  Determine if a Hulme case feeder is attached.  Again, pictures are easily found on the net and this website.  Find the caliber (what cartridge it reloads) of the machine.  This is probably stamped onto one of the reloading dies.  With these three (or four) parameters (manufacturer, progressive or universal if applicable, presence of Hulme case feeder and caliber) search ebay for reloaders meeting the parameters for each machine.  It won't take long to see prices for the Star.  CPM and Phelps seldom show up (not as many) but when they do, prices are similar to those of the Star.
Now, a preferable addition if you are comfortable with it. Put your location in a post and see if any forum members are close by and might give you a hand or know of a local resource near you.  It would be great to be able to link some of the "spare parts" with the correct machine if it is applicable. Doesn't mean you have to bundle to sell but many purchasers appreciate being able to purchase a complete machine and parts without having to search for each individual piece that is missing.  Not to mention that the head assemblies with additional calibers for the Universal model were probably assembled for a specific individual machine and a purchaser would prefer to purchase a head that he or she knows will fit without undue work or searching a long time for a replacement part that mates more closely!

GeraldChainsaw

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Star Machine Presses, 2 Others, and some parts.... What's my value??
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 05:04:22 pm »
ok,  so where r u located?,  thanks   jerry