Author Topic: bought a star  (Read 7015 times)

GeraldChainsaw

• Active Members
    • View Profile
bought a star
« on: May 05, 2015, 03:39:55 pm »
hi,  today i bought a star from a old guy,  hasn't been used for years,  so the usual cleanup,  but it has 2 heads,  1 for 38 the other 45,  so i have a few questions,   since i already have a set up for 38,  i'm going to set this up for 45.    it has a hulme case feeder like i havn't seen before,  and stamped hulme firearm service,  in a cut away type piece,  half the size of the ones we use now,  is there a way to find out what year this might have been made?, ,  and as for setting the primers,  i know the primer arm has to be changed because of size,  but can i use the same set up that pushes in the primer or does that have to be changed also?,  i'm pretty sure this is a universal but whaen i run the cases thru at the last stage i dosen't drop thru like the 38,  do i have to make a special extractor ,  thats all the questions for now,  i'm sure there will be more later,  thanks   jerry

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: bought a star
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 04:28:23 pm »
Jerry
To change from small pistol primer to large pistol primer You need to change the following parts: #22 primer slide, #24 primer punch, # 25
primer punch spring, # 26 Primer punch bushing, # 34 primer magazine tube.

Good Shooting

Lindy

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 04:37:28 pm »
Since 45 ACP is a rimless case, it is held in place by the shell plate.   I won't drop through the base.   It sounds like your machine has the #68U Shell Floor Base Plug installed.   It can be removed and replaced with a #67U Shell Floor Base Bushing if you would like shells to drop out the bottom........but not rimless cases like 45 ACP.

Your case feeder is an older design, but quite functional.   Depending on weather it is cut with a T slot or not below the piston, you may or may not be able to load 44 Magnum and 45 Colt.  With the proper top plate you should be able to load everything else.

PS    I have all of the large and small primer parts in stock.

Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 04:49:46 pm »
If it has shell holders it is the Universal, if not Progressive.

As for the last station, you do not have to make a special extractor.. There is a commercial case kicker made that is affordable and works very well if you want one. It is simple design and simple install, and does not require modification to your press. Attaches at the safety cam support.  Info can be found on this forum.

I do not use one, but many do.  I remove the rounds one at a time as they are loaded while placing the head on the case at the seating die. Time impact negligible, but slightly more labor intensive, but it also gives me a chance to feel the finished round for defects etc.

Good luck!

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"