Author Topic: STAR BASE OR NOT?  (Read 9378 times)

FOR_Star

• Active Members
  • Star Universal owner since 1979
    • View Profile
STAR BASE OR NOT?
« on: November 25, 2015, 11:38:48 am »
Can anyone tell from the attached picture if this is a STAR unit or a Phelps or other knock-off?
Warren
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Star owner since 1979

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: STAR BASE OR NOT?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 03:27:07 pm »
That does not appear to be a Star base.

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 06:00:25 pm »
Almost all the original Star bases I have seen have the blue tint. Additionally, I have never seen a Universal with the base having been grinded flat in the area of the locating straps. Based on above, I would speculate it is probably a Phelps, or other knock-off.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 08:21:04 pm »
Greetings,

Looks like the one offered by "Ricketts" on eBay.

It "might" be an original Star that was "vandalized" by a previous owner to attach a case feed of some sort. The tool head has the Star trademark.

All the shell plate locking rings I have seen from Star were knurled. This one has no knurling.

Ricketts does not answer questions via eBay, so one could take a chance and buy it and if not satisfied, send it back via eBay.

I have been outbid, so the rest of you do not have to worry about me raising the price.

Happy bidding,

Dave

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 07:35:29 am »
I tend to think it is a Star which as Dave says has been "vandalized" to mount a homemade case feeder.   I would not count on being able to mount a Hulme case feeder on that machine.   The thrust nut is not a Star,  and that fact that the sizing die is in the seating station and the seating die in the sizing station makes me think the machine was put together for the auction, and not one that had been in use in its current configuration.

That said, Ricketts is generally a pretty good seller....but doesn't answer questions, not mine anyway.

Bruce
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

GeraldChainsaw

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 11:22:05 am »
Ricketts isn't the only one thats dosen't answer questions