Author Topic: Charge Bars?  (Read 8348 times)

Mike B

• View Profile
Charge Bars?
« on: February 06, 2018, 04:41:52 pm »
Hello,
 I recently acquired a Star Reloader (45 Cal). It is old but in excellent shape. It was used by a friend of mine who recently passed and was a competitive pistol shooter, so I know it has had a lot of use. The question I have is that I am ready to start reloading and the brass charge bar has a brass insert in it that has the number 5 on the side of the insert. Does this mean it is dropping 5 grains? I am a little confused because I know his favorite was 4.2 gr of Bullseye. If anyone can help I would be appreciative. And does anyone know where I can get additional inserts?
Mike

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Charge Bars?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 07:26:43 pm »
It is not five grains but a number 5 insert.
Different powders will drop different grains.
You could drop a few drops and measure on a scale to give you a starting point.

RBWillNJ (Bruce Williams) on this site will have accessories and inserts to alter to your load. Bruce has the Star Machine Works site.

There is also a thread on this list (which Bruce can provide) that determines size by masurement of the insert and computing the volume.

Good,luck.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

teg2650

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 10:21:45 am »
Mike,
 Hornady made a pistol powder measure that used/made the powder bushing you are talking about, it is 1/2 inch tall, I don't think they make the bushing any more. I have their 1986 catalog with a powder chart, PM me a email address and I will send you a picture of it. It shows #5 bushing to be 3.7 grains of bullseye. Bruce in NJ who owns Star makes the bushings.
Tom

jglenn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 09:21:25 pm »
Bruce can make you any powder drop bushing you want. Not just the std. Pacific bushings.. Does an excellent job. he's made several for me for a specific load.

you can find the Pacific bushing on occasion on eBay