Author Topic: Primer selection  (Read 10376 times)

TexRen

• View Profile
Primer selection
« on: October 23, 2016, 11:29:14 pm »
Hello,

Looking for some advice/assistance. I will be setting a Star for .38 Special reloading and am getting ready to buy some small pistol primers. I have some Remington small pistol primers. I have another Star set up for .45 Auto Rim/.45 ACP and have been using Federal Large Pistol primers.

I was thinking of buying Sellier & Bellot (sp?).  Anyone have experience using these?  Any recommendations for other primers or preferred brand(s) for the Star.

Thanks in advance.

Rene

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Primer selection
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 10:57:33 am »
Greetings,

From what I have seen of the S&B quality in loaded ammo and brass, I would stick with primers made in the USA.

I use Federal, W-W, and Remington. Sometimes CCI.

Cheers,

Dave

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 08:19:27 am »
I've used S&B primers for a couple of years now, when I can't find Winchesters.  They all have gone bang.  I've also used Tula primers, but their specs are a little off and I have had them jam the machine. 
Distinguished Pistol Shot

Rwhite66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 01:04:29 pm »
I have had good luck with Remington and Winchester

cc656d

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 08:25:09 am »
Good to hear you use Remington , as I quit using them a long time ago . Too much problems with out of round issue. One or two hang ups in the primer tube per 100 . This created a mess in my Star . Also found one without an anvil and one with two anvils . These were not in the same 1000.  All large primers .
Distinguished pistol shot
2600 club
NIB Star
Benefactor member NRA
Life Member Va, Md, WVa, and Fl State Shooting Associations , Life OGCA

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 02:32:53 pm »
This post is a little late on your thread however, I have good luck with Winchester, Remington and Federal primers in my Star presses. The one brand that will not function properly, for me, is CCI. For some reason they won't load properly and jam my machine up on a regular basis. I was loading some 9 m/m the other day & forgot about the CCI primer issue. I opted to use some CCI Small Pistol Primers I had & my press kept jamming up at the priming station. I switched to some Remington Small Pistol Primers & had no problems after that.

I don't believe it is a problem with the press as I have checked the function through the priming system. It would seem that the primer cup on the CCI's may be a little thicker and won't load in some primer pockets. I load various brands of brass in .38/357, .45 Auto, & 9 m/m all on stars dedicated to those calibers. It happens on all of my Stars. None of the primer pockets I had a problem with were crimped primers. I sort those out, swage & chamfer them.

I believe CCI's are great primers. They just don't seem to work on my Star Presses.

Like I said this post is a little late however, I hope it helps someone.