Author Topic: Camp Perry  (Read 51219 times)

Allaces

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Camp Perry
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2016, 11:40:13 am »
Everyone should have at least two Star machines,I went to Perry from 1970 to 1976 with the pistol ,what a great time,the hut ,that long walk in the morning and those powdered eggs in the mess hall. I returned in 1983 and shot rifle for several years this time with my wife and now two sons, but still had a great time. Perry is a great place it can build you up one moment and then slap you in the face the next .
After retiring I started to look for bullseye matches in Florida and found that most were gone. I then started to shoot some USPSA and ICORE as I could shoot almost every weekend and not drive too far. Now I woke one morning about 6 weeks ago  and thought I should look into shooting bullseye again ( could be my ADHD) .So I pulled out some of  my old stuff  .sent in my entry and might even start to do a little practicing. Hope to see some of you there,but will not be staying a the hut (if they are still there) ,Wife says "Once was enough "

The huts are still at Perry but now have AC, a real floor, and don't leak. The long walk is still there, as is the mud, but now most folks use one of those geezer carts. And yes, Perry still rewards you one minute and kicks you in the butt the next.  This year we expect dry, wet, windy, calm, chilly and hot conditions, all on the same day you shoot.

The powdered eggs are gone, maybe, but the mess hall is still dishing out typical GI meals for a cheap price :-X.

See ya on vendor row.
Two Stars in SC
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2016, 06:25:02 pm »
All new underground drainage and piping is supposed to remove all excess water from ranges, and divert it away to limit if not eliminate the mud.
Main goal was to limit range damage, side benefit is shooters comfort.

We shall see!

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2016, 10:08:13 am »
Virtually no rain this year. Only one night, but range was dry.
Attendance was up.

There was no evidence of Stars anywhere that I could find. Not sure of swapmeet as I did not go, but was told none there.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

ChipEck

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2016, 07:18:19 pm »
Yes, this year was as perfect as Perry gets.  Maybe a little windy, but no mud and only one day was really hot. 

Chip

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 03:56:40 pm »
Attended again this year. Many changes to housing, and only two firing ranges. But there were a little over 600 competitors; up from last year.

Swap meet was poorly attended. Three vendors when I got there about five minutes after it began. No stars as expected.

Did speak with one shooter who had a .45 Star for sale, w/Indexor and case feeder,  but did not bring it as there is really no means to advertise and sell it at Camp Perry.
He occasionally visits this site, but was hoping to sell it first hand in order to work with the buyer.

Precision Pistol is holding it's own, but not growing as mush as other venues, and I think impacting how Stars are perceived.