Author Topic: Changing powder slides  (Read 6858 times)

autogun

• View Profile
Changing powder slides
« on: October 18, 2017, 04:41:01 pm »
I have inherited a Star Universal with an 00 powder measure.  I have received multiple powder slides as well. To change a powder slide, should I remove the powder slide cam and then slide the slide out or do you remove the powder reservoir and the top portion of the powder housing and lift out the slide?
Thanks.

gilmarc1974

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Changing powder slides
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 06:35:51 pm »
do it either way

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 07:05:46 pm »
I found it easiest to simply remove the entire head assembly and then swap out the powder slide by removing the spring. Certainly easier then removing the cam every from the base every time. Once off you can pour out the powder and cycle the bar a few times to clear it before swapping out.

Unless you have a powder cutoff, or the tube is completely empty, doing it on the machine will result in some unnecessary powder spillage, in around and under the shell plate, etc.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

autogun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 08:30:50 pm »
Thanks; appreciate the help. I was afraid that the wrong method would send springs flying around the room.  Thanks again.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 02:08:24 pm »
+1 for removing the tool head to change the powder slide or powder bushings.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

DevonWes

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 02:55:45 am »
I found it easiest to simply remove the entire head assembly and then swap out the powder slide by removing the spring. Certainly easier then removing the cam every from the base every time. Once off you can pour out the powder and cycle the bar a few times to clear it before swapping out.

Unless you have a powder cutoff, or the tube is completely empty, doing it on the machine will result in some unnecessary powder spillage, in around and under the shell plate, etc.

Good to know. Thanks for the detailed description Kenn.