Author Topic: Need help with the press mount  (Read 6003 times)

javaduke

• View Profile
Need help with the press mount
« on: March 22, 2018, 10:30:24 am »
Hi folks, I just got my Star Universal machine, and I'm sure I will have tons of questions going forward, but now I'm just trying to figure out the best option to mount it to my workbench. I was looking for something similar to the Dillon Strong Mount, and I contacted Inline Fabrication, but they don't make mounds for Star anymore. Wondering what other options I may have. Can you guys post some pictures of your mounts? It seems like it has to be elevated at least 4" above the surface of the bench, so that I can slide some tray for spent primers underneath. Should I just get some 2x4?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 10:37:13 am by javaduke »

FOR_Star

• Active Members
  • Star Universal owner since 1979
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with the press mount
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 03:19:19 pm »
Here's what Star said in their original instructions:

INSTALLING MACHINE
In order that you may have the correct position for reloading, you should build a bench by using a board 4 feet or more in length; about 2 inches thick and 12 inches wide, using 3 or 4 legs long enough to make the bench about the same height as a chair. In the center of the bench build up a portion 5 inches high, making holes in the top for the loaded shells and fired primers to drop through into trays set under the reloader and on top of the bench; then bolt the reloader down on the top of the raised portion.

The raised portion should extend out far enough to the left of the reloader to have room to set two trays containing empty shells and bullets.
This arrangement will leave room enough on one end of the bench for the operator to sit while reloading and should you have a helper, he can sit on the other end.

After you have your reloader installed and before trying to do any reloading, you should make a study of each operation. Before filling the powder magazine or putting primers in the tube, we would suggest that you run a few empty shells through, bringing the lever all the way down each time you insert and position a shell in the plate, and watch carefully each station so that you will know just what is taking place, at the same time you will learn why there is a loaded shell at each stroke of the lever.

A full PDF copy of the instructions from Star Machine Works is attached.
Warren
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Star owner since 1979

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 05:32:18 pm »
Javaduke
Here is a pic of one of my Stars. The square pink container slides under the base for catching primers and the completed rounds fall into the bread pan.  I have several stars, all mounted the same way. they can be bolted in the same spot on the bench as needed. The stand offs are 1/2 inch conduit with washers welded on.

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 07:22:11 pm »
Mounted similar to Star as suggested, but mounted 2x12 higher to not need additional height. Drilled a hole to collect primers and build a sliding draw under it to catch them.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Humbo

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 06:03:34 am »
Here's how I did it, I purchased quick change plates from Dan at Inline. I drilled new holes to that I could change the angle a little bit for easier bullet seating. I haven't drilled holes in the plates for the ejected primers, I only load processed brass on the Stars.