Author Topic: Powder slide scored by debris  (Read 6430 times)

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Powder slide scored by debris
« on: April 27, 2018, 05:28:53 pm »
I've never had this happen before.  I was loading some .45 ACP's when the press started to make a horrible sound when I would pull down on the handle.  I stopped loading and took it apart.  A small piece of debris, that looked like brass had embedded itself in the upper powder slide housing and it cut a groove in the top of the powder slide to the rear of the hole.  I can't imagine where it came from, unless it was in the can of powder I was using; Bullseye.  It would not be the first time I had something foreign in a can of Bullseye.  One time it was a small piece of cardboard.

I could not get whatever it was out of the housing, so I took a fine Swiss file and carefully smoothed it out.  After putting everything back together, it all seemed to work as intended.
Distinguished Pistol Shot

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Powder slide scored by debris
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 11:56:38 am »
If you are using an older brass or metal powder tube, or have a brass powder drain threaded in, check the threads on them. Vibration from use, or accidental impact,  could have cracked same where it is attached, and resulted in a small piece of brass flaking off.

I could see a cardboard from some older Bullseye as that was used in the manufacture of the tube can, but Brass not so much, but who knows.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 01:05:37 pm »
Thanks.  It's a newer plastic powder reservoir but I will check the threads.  No powder drain.  The cardboard was in a new plastic container of Bullseye.  When I called them to complain, they just shrugged it off.

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 03:52:01 pm »
I checked the brass threads on the powder reservoir and there were no chips or anything that looked like the piece that embedded itself in the top of the housing.  The threads were clean and all there.  I guess it will remain a mystery.  I checked with Bruce about getting a new housing top, just to have a spare, but I need to see what other parts might be nice to have around.  In all the years I've owned this press, the only thing that ever broke was the tool head spring and I got a spare when I ordered the replacement back when Star was in business in San Diego.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:15:17 pm by CDRT »

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 01:14:21 am »
I always try to wipe off the top of the powder container that I'll be using to fill the powder hopper with as dust, dirt and debris  tends to find its way there and can find its way into the hopper.

Speculation of course.

Good Shooting

Lindy

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 09:43:04 am »
Just a follow up.  Even though I repaired the upper powder slide housing, I went ahead and ordered a new one from Bruce.  Glad there is someone out there who took over the company and is making repair parts.