Author Topic: Reloading 45acp  (Read 5439 times)

sauer70

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Reloading 45acp
« on: August 20, 2018, 09:21:57 pm »
When reloading 45acp today on my SU. I felt like my press was sticking sometimes on the up/down stroke.  I’m using 230gr Rainer FMJ.  Not sure if I had enough belling on the case. I did have 2 bullets peel over the case. Tamper crimp is good. Loaded up 500rds.

I did wet tumble the cases.

Case guage check all rounds, found 3x no go.
Star Universal
Forster Co Ax
Bonanza Co Ax
Dillion SDB

FOR_Star

• Active Members
  • Star Universal owner since 1979
    • View Profile
Re: Reloading 45acp
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 12:11:00 am »
Wet tumbling leaves the cases dry & oil-free.  Even when nicely polished, these cases can require much greater force to resize (w/carbide sizer) than say dirt free, but tarnished, cases.

Try the Star recommended lanolin trick on 15 or 20 cases and see if that doesn't clear up the issue.

From page 4 or the Star instruction booklet:

DO NOT use gasoline or solvent on your shells. It makes them so dry that they may stick to
the die and cause scratches. After your shells are clean and free of grit just before starting to
reload, dip the tips of your fingers in hydrous lanolin and stir the shells. A very little lubrication
will keep them from sticking.

Let us know how it goes.  BTW, I bought my jar of lanolin on Amazon. A lifetime supply cost me around $10 I believe.  As it said, very little is all it takes.

Warren
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 11:35:29 am by FOR_Star »
Warren
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Star owner since 1979

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 01:07:05 pm »
Greetings,

Are you wet tumbling using the "LemiShine" product?

You can get the brass too clean such that it will stick to the expander plug and Taper Crimp die.

Have a look at the expander to see if there are any streaks of brass. If so, remove the plug, chuck it in a power drill / lathe and polish the brass away using a piece of fine ScotchBrite or fine Steel wool and oil.

Back to the brass. After washing, fill the tub with water again and add a capful of liquid car wash (TurtleWax) and tumble a few minutes. Then drain and dry. Do not wash off the TurtleWax. This will act as a lubricant for the expander.

Cheers,

Dave

sauer70

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 05:14:04 pm »
Thank you FC60 and For Star on your responses.  I will check the expander and clean.  Will also try the Turtle Wax. Will re tumble 50 cases and see how it goes. 

Yes, I am using Lemishine. 

Tim

Reminded me when I was reloading brand new Starline Brass on my SDB many years ago. The brass would stick to the expander. I guess same issue even with brand new brass.
Star Universal
Forster Co Ax
Bonanza Co Ax
Dillion SDB

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 11:10:40 am »
Greetings,

Your StarLine comment jiggled my memory.

StarLine suggested using some case lube on new brass.

Cheers,

Dave