Author Topic: Magma Engineering's Star Reloader  (Read 12082 times)

beardog 410

• View Profile
Magma Engineering's Star Reloader
« on: December 18, 2005, 12:44:18 pm »
I had no idea original Star reloaders sold for upwards of $500.

I'm new to centerfire cartridge reloading.  Could those with insight into Star machines comment on the Magma Engineering clone?   For $195 without dies, under the circumstances, that looks like an interesting alternative.

Any thoughts?

beardog 410

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Magma Engineering's Star Reloader
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 02:50:01 pm »
First, lets make sure we are not getting the various machines Star produced confused.  Star made both Reloaders and Sizer Lubricators.  The former for reloading metallic cartridges, and the later for sizing lead bullets to the correct diameter.

Magma Engineering bought the rights to manufacture the Sizer Lubricator, and they produce a machine that is essentially identical to the machine manufactured by Star.  In fact, I have used Magma Engineering parts to repair old Stars.  As you said, Magma sells their machine for $195 without dies or bullet punches.   The last time I checked, they sell dies for about $35 and bullet punches for $12.50.   The typical price on Ebay for a Star Lubricator Sizer with one die and one punch is about $175.   If you look around you may be able to find one at a gun show for $100, but they get snapped up very quickly.   Star/Magma Lubrisizers are still the best machines out there.

The Star Reloader was acutally selling for about $1000 by the time Star went out of business.   Prices for reloaders vary considerable depending on condition, caliber, and included accessories.  I'd say that a Star Universal in 45 ACP, in good condition and with a Hulme Case Feeder should bring upwards of $600. 
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

beardog 410

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 08:03:21 pm »
Thanks so much for the clarification.  I thought I was looking at the difference between a progressive and single stage reloader, in shotgun parlance.  Now I see, with the resizer, you may take your reloads to the next level of quality, as the bullet is prepared to a size for a particular barrel.  Makes sense.

Looks like I'll have to save up some more cash for a star reloader, and make do with an alternative, in the mean time.

beardog 410

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 08:11:10 pm »
Star obviously made both rifle and pistol reloaders.  BUT did they ever make a shotgun press?  Their original patent was for rifle, pistol and shotgun reloading.
former progressive press collector