Author Topic: New Member Intro and Questions  (Read 11476 times)

dd in MA

• Active Members
    • View Profile
New Member Intro and Questions
« on: December 18, 2005, 05:15:44 pm »

As a new forum member, I should introduce myself.  I am a long time shooter, former highpower rifle competitor and current bullseye pistol competitor.  When I began reloading circa 1966 I was mentored by the husband of a friend of my mother.  Reloading was my hobby; shooting was only a means to acquire empty brass.  I developed a permanent bend in my back looking at the ground for the errant empty left behind by other shooters.  In those days, there were very few cases left on the range -- a major difference from today with more affluent shooters who buy new ammo and do not reload the cases.

As I commented on another forum just a couple of days ago, I have never seen a Star reloading press in person -- that is until todayi!

As fate would have it, I have just returned from a hands on inspection of two Stars, one the Progressive and the other a Universal.  Neither looks to have been used in several years.  The current owner just obtained same from an estate and he knows at least as little about them as do I.  Hard to tell if all is there altho it seems so.  I was amazed at how small this press is considering all of the plaudits that have been written about it that I have read over the years.

The Universal has a case feeder (name escapes me) with a funnel on top, and a case indexer (ditto) that looked to be a device to be mounted to the bench beside the machine.  This device has a flat bar with a circular cut that contact a case, pushing it to the next station.  This bar is aluminum and seems to be well chewed up.  I should have taken notes but did not think of this as I was examining these machines.

Now for the question:  The .38 Spl sizing die was clearly marked Lifetyme but the .45 acp die was not.  That die had a bluish coloring at its base on the knurled part.  Could this be a Lifetyme die also?

Next question:  These machines each had only two dies, the sizing/decapping die and the seater/crimper die.  This was surprising to me as I have become a believer in separating the latter two steps.  Anyone have comments?

Also, the .45 acp sizing die does not have a depriming pin.  Are these unique or are the ones from Lyman or RCBS usable?

Any help that I can obtain will go a long way toward deciding whether I should own these machines.

dd in MA

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: New Member Intro and Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 09:16:46 pm »

The Universal has a case feeder (name escapes me) with a funnel on top, and a case indexer (ditto) that looked to be a device to be mounted to the bench beside the machine.? This device has a flat bar with a circular cut that contact a case, pushing it to the next station.? This bar is aluminum and seems to be well chewed up.? I should have taken notes but did not think of this as I was examining these machines.

Next question:? These machines each had only two dies, the sizing/decapping die and the seater/crimper die.? This was surprising to me as I have become a believer in separating the latter two steps.? Anyone have comments?
Also, the .45 acp sizing die does not have a depriming pin.? Are these unique or are the ones from Lyman or RCBS usable?
Any help that I can obtain will go a long way toward deciding whether I should own these machines.
dd in MA

dd,
You'll find the Star a great reloader.  Reliable, solid, and dependable machines.  Built for at least 2-1/2 lifetimes of use.  I highly recommend the Star Reloader.  To answer your question, the case feeder with the blue funnel is probably a Freeloader.  Cases are shaken and aligned into the tube by gravity and shaking.  The decapping pin is not unique as far as I know of. 
The bullet seating and crimping can be separated.  You will need to obtain a taper crimp die for the last station though.  Parts and accessories are available but you will have to look and ask around for them. 
Again, welcome to the group. 
-Steve

dd in MA

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 09:27:28 pm »
Thanks, Steve.  I will have to research more of msg prev posted and add nes information to my historical files.

Owner is not entirely sure that he will part with these machines and I am not sure that I can fully figure out if there are any missing parts.  Both need complete disassembly and cleaning to see if they work properly and I do not consider myself up to the task.

BTW, the cast parts of these machines are brownish IIRC.  The powder measure reservoirs are red.  I do not know how these machines are dated, but the Universal has the OO powder bar.

dd in MA

dd in MA

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 09:28:34 pm »
Forgot to mention that you are correct in naming the case feeder, a Freeloader.  dd

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 06:19:14 am »
If the sizing die is not marked Lifetyme, than it is not Lifetyme, but could still be a carbide die.? You would need to check for a carbide ring which should be clearly visable,? ?I have one carbide die marked "Perfection" RLS which is blued steel.? I also, have a couple of carbide dies from Star Machine Works of Pioneer California (Not the original Star).? One of these dies is clearly marked Lee, so I'm sure it is a turned down Lee die.? The other is only marked with the caliber.? ?I have two original Star (non-carbide) dies.? they are hardened steel, (but not blued).

As for the decapping pin, the sizing die should have a screw in piece in the center with a decapping pin at the end.? The decapping pin is held in with a set screw.? If it is only missing, the pin, you can substitute the correct diameter drill rod.? If the die is missing the whole decapping assembly, you may be able to get one from Star Machine Works in Pioneer.

The 45 ACP machine should have a taper crimp die.? Taper crimp dies were availabe for 38 Special, but are rare, and I have never seen one on a Progressive, only on Universals.

The machined parts of a Star are often brownish with a rust stain, but they clean up remarkable well.

If the machine had an indexer on it, you should remove the shell plate and look at the base below the shell plate.? Machines with indexers were sometimes exposed to a great deal of hard use (like in a police station) and they can develop a substantial ware pattern below the shell plate.? This can be a problem if it has developed an indentation in the base which catches the shell base as you are trying to advance it from one station to another.? ?Sometimes the indentation can be polished out sufficiently to eliminate the problem.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com