Author Topic: Tool Head with Extra Die  (Read 8410 times)

draginfish

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Tool Head with Extra Die
« on: March 28, 2006, 08:26:40 pm »
I picked up a few new tool heads for my Star Universal. These heads have an extra die hole in them next to the seater die. The 38 head has an extra die in that spot where as my original heads that came with my loader have a small hole in that position. What is the purpose of that extra die? Thanks in advance.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Tool Head with Extra Die
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 11:18:49 pm »
The extra hole is for a seperate taper crimp die.   Actually, the small hole in your other tool heads is also for a taper crimp die.  The tool heads with the small hole are older, and Star made a special taper crimp die that was inserted in that hole.   Later they switched to a hole drilled and tapped for the dies the same size as the sizing and bullet seating dies.   

For rimless auto cartridges, the most accepted practice is to give them a taper crimp rather than a role crimp because the bullet indexes on the carse mouth.  This is best done in a seperate station rather than in the bullet seating station.   Some people prefer to use a taper crimp die for rimed cartridges as well.   It sounds like you have a relatively rare taper crimp die for 38 Special.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com