Author Topic: Ebay, Loaders & Parts For Sale  (Read 12546 times)

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
Ebay, Loaders & Parts For Sale
« on: July 03, 2006, 02:24:47 pm »
I recently have been watching ebay for Star related items. There is a seller there who offers "original Star parts & machines" stating he is disposing of his "remaining original" stock explaining it's superior quality in great detail.

Note that even though he is disposing of these original parts etc he is also a bidder on certain Star parts.

---- NOTE FROM THE MODERATOR ----? The above post is informational, faciliating replies and discussion. The WBT/WTS forum posts must contain an advertisment of desire to purchase or sell an item.?The post was moved to this discussion forum.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 09:27:03 pm by starrel »

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay, Loaders & Parts For Sale
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 01:09:54 am »
There is an individual who has been doing this for at least the last couple of years.? Might not be the same guy, of course, but ...

Makes quite a show of having been a big time star seller years and years ago.? Has quite a bit of stuff left, all pricey.? Selling out, as I recall, because he is very sick and needs the money for medical bills.? Might well be true.

BUT there are inconsistencies in the story.? Some times it is one fellow.? Sometimes it seems to be his son.? Also the guy that I'm thinking of has indicated that he was well known back when I was collecting Stars but I never heard of him then.? The people at Star never mentioned him and I knew Ellord Mott personally.? So, well...

What the guy was famous for, as one of our Australian contributors could verify was, being someone that you wanted to avoid doing business with.

I remember asking him a question about Star history once.? Just a straight forward minor historical question.? About ten months later I got hate mail that you had to read to believe.? Never answered the question but he was certainly nasty!

« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 01:11:59 am by Kenneth L. Walters »
former progressive press collector

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 10:17:09 am »
I believe you are both referring to the guy who sells under the ID of star0reloader0mentors on ebay, and is otherwise known as Paul Jones.   I have had a number of dealings with Mr.Jones.  He does indead have some "new" Star parts which are expensive, but if you need them, well, you need them.   I have purchased parts form Mr. Jones both on and off of ebay and have no complaints.  He is a bit slow to respond, but compared to Bill Cunningham, he moves at light speed. 

I have always wondered about his self promotion.  I would be curious if anyone had any experiance with him back in the seventies when he says he was a top dealer?

A few years back, when I first got turned on to Star Reloaders, I joined both his Fourm (list) and this one at the same time.  At the time, this forum still had a picture site with a number of very interesting and useful pictures and brochures on Star competitors and Star accessories.   I contacted Mr. Jones and suggested that he contribute copies of some of his brochures to be included on this site.  You wouldn't believe the email I got in response.   Also, he kicked me off of his fourm.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 11:21:16 am »
I'm a bit uncomfortable putting a name to this so I'm not going to comment on that point.

Back when I was very seriously interested in collecting Star's and talked to the company frequently they never mentioned this fellow.  It was a decade or two later when he started putting himself forward as a big star distributor.  Might be true, of course, but I never heard of him.

The one response I got from him to a very straight forward question was a real surprise.  No idea why he was so hateful.  It was a simple historical question.

But I have been warned by several others NOT to do business with him.  I have no personal experience on that account but...

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 01:08:12 pm »
Thanks for the info regarding this ebay seller. Just after the post above I rec'd a respnse from Jones regarding a question about a possible purchase which was a rather disjointed rant about conmputers, eventually getting his price etc. It was a month after the inquiry was made. We are indeed a captive market.

cdrt05

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 04:26:50 pm »
Just wanted to add my two cents.? Mr. Jones also claims to have owned the company that produced the Fitz grips and ammo boxes back in the 60's and 70's.? I did email him some time ago and got the "story" and a price list on what he has left of his Star inventory.? I'm guessing his motto is "it's a museum, not a store" considering the price he wants for stuff.? He's located in Vacaville, California and since we're in the area right now, I put forward that I would be more than happy to stop by and purchase some items directly from him to zero out the shipping charges.? Got a big "no" on that suggestion.? And does anyone know what happened to the guy in Pioneer that was building and selling Stars?? I bought some parts from him last year, but have had a zero response to my emails and faxes this past month.

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 06:49:02 pm »
This fellow, or maybe his son, is a moderator on The High Road's Handloading & Reloading section.