Author Topic: VitaV Powder Data  (Read 12658 times)

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
VitaV Powder Data
« on: December 26, 2006, 09:45:45 pm »
Can anyone advise starting data for V V N310 pdr for the 45 ACP 185 and/ or 38 spec 148 WC? Would also be interested in any info regarding which bushings to use.  i.e.   converting from Bullseye to N310. I currently use 4.4 BE for the 45ACP w/ a 160 gr & 2.9 for the 38 spec w/a 148 gr.

Have exp'd lot to lot variation in bullseye recently. I have used BE since 1970 and this was never an issue in the past. I have also encountered pdr bridging when left idle for a short period of time (2 to 2.5 hrs). Shooters using other pdrs tell me they never have this problem. Would be interested in any data and/or comments.

Thanks!

NMBob

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: VitaV Powder Data
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 09:48:57 am »
About the Bullseye variations lot to lot:  what was your problem?  I had a case recently with malfunctions of a previously reliable (3.8 + 185) load in my .45 longslide.  Gun was also an extremely reliable weapon.  I double checked load weight thrown by my measure, cleaned gun scrupulously, and still had problems.

Star73

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 02:00:45 pm »
Excuse the delay in response. Hadn't checked this part of the forum lately. I use, and 75-100 shooters in my area have used the following load since around 1980.  4.2 Bullseye w/ a 160 gr SWC in 45 1911's w/ slide mounted dots. These guys are all Bullseye shooters & shoot a lot.

Of the initial loads from a new 4# can of BE (100 rd trial run) 2 of the 1st 20 cycled.  Reliability came with 4.5 gr.  The loads are very smoky w/ a pungeunt odor frequently commented on by other shooters. It was so noticeable I checked the clean brass for a sawdust/trash spill.

Alliant was most helpful. I am totally ignorant of pdr & reloading & that I & the other shooters mentioned prev are using an inadequate pdr chg & shouldn't expect it to work. Also, a .3 gr variation in lots is within their spec. The strange smell & large amt of smoke is due to an inadequate pdr chg. In the past I have noticed variation in wt to volume (less han.1 gr) but never reliability prolems.

Solution: 3.9 gr Clays w/ the prev mentioned bullet.  3.8 Clays is a bit weak but very accurate in my 2 guns.

Star73

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 10:29:50 am »
Started using clays some mo ago also. Quite pleased w/ results [no e-mail]@ 50 yds. Am using 3.8 gr w/ the 160 gr saeco 45acp. Very mild and accurate. For sustained fire I use 3.85 or 3.9 to ensure cycling. Not a viable pdr for the 38 tho. When reliable functioning was achieved, 2.5 gr, the cases bulge so back to BE for the .38.

I hear a lot of talk about "cleaner than Bullseye" but find a hard buildup when the gun is stripped for cleaning. I always clean before a match unless shooting them back to back so the cleaner business is meaningless.

Star73

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 01:26:42 pm »
2150....Surprisingly my results, cal wise were the opposite. 2.5 is listed as max for the 38 wc by hodgdon. I did consididerable developemnt in both cals ( 38 & 45) starting quite low in pdr chg.  2.5 was found to be reliable. I was loading 60 rds at a time. I then loaded approx 300 & upon shooting the 1st 2 strings found the cases bulged in the unsupported area of the case. The gun is a colt 38 conv w/ slide mt'd UD. Development was done using nickel cases & the prod run was (mixed) brass. Am using it in rev w/ no prob. Went back to BE in the 38 auto. With the 45 I started [no e-mail]@ 3.6 & went as high as 4.2. The bullet is 160 gr, apparently at the other end of the weight range from yours & prob accounting for most of the variation in results(?). I'm not familiar w/ the H&G 78. What is the weight? The 160 is saeco's version of the H&G 242s (165) which I cast more of than I care to remember until getting (sev of us) a contract for bulk casting w/ the saeco. One of the very good shooters in Ohio is using 4.15 w/ the 160 recently dropping the chg from 4.2 to lower recoil.  Although your results are discouraging I would suggest dropping the chg to around 3.8 or so and seeing if the results are satisfactory. In the case you're working on a ball load or need power you prob are taking the best course in abandoning clays. Am also curious about the exp of others.

Thanks for the info!
Rpn H