Author Topic: Star Machines & Parts Auction  (Read 13977 times)

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
Star Machines & Parts Auction
« on: August 27, 2007, 12:36:17 pm »
With the demise  of shooting related items on ebay I am curious where the "Star Market" has gone? Are they showing up on another auction site?

Thanks!
Ron

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Star Machines & Parts Auction
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 04:57:24 pm »
Actually, the new policy says nothing about reloading equipment, and there is still a fair amount of it on eBay.  The new policy prohibits reloading components like bullets and brass, but says nothing about reloaders and sizers.   The policy specifically permits bullet molds.   Sellers have to be careful not to include a picture of a prohibited item (like a bullet or a brass case) in their listing, but otherwise it should be business as usual for reloading equipment.

eBay's new policy while broader than before is no where near as onerous as has been reported on various forums.

I think a few erroneous posts on various forums which declared that eBay was prohibiting all "Gun Related Items" have scared people into not listing reloading equipment they otherwise would have.  They seem to be holding onto it for now however since there does not seem to be any increase in reloading equipment on GunBroker or Auction Arms, and the volume of reloading and casting equipment on eBay seems to be ever so slightly greater this week.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Star73

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 11:04:10 am »
My bookmark for ebay was a "star reloading" search which 1st listed all the auctions then the ebay store which for as long as I remember listed sizer dies. That's all gone. I haven't read the policy. A reloading search shows 600+ items as you related. Are any of the ebay sellers on this forum? If so please please add any info you have to this?

Thanks,
Ron

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 01:26:25 pm »
Maybe its what you meant, but you should search for Star under the reloading equipment subcatagory.   Right now there is a tool head and a Hulme top plate listed by John Paul Jones, and a Star Lubesizer.   Fewer listings than usual, but I'm hoping they will come back as people figure out the new policy.  Magma has their ususal listing of dies and such in their Store.   

This is the list of Prohibited Items under the Firearms and Knives Policy

Some Examples 

Firearms, Ammunition, Firearm Parts and Accessories: eBay prohibits members from listing firearms, ammunition, as well as certain parts and accessories. Any part or accessory that is required for a gun to fire is not permitted. This includes, but is not limited, to the prohibited items listed below.

Prohibited

Firearms
Actual firearms

Collectibles, antiques, replicas, blank guns, paintball guns, "air soft" guns*, pellet guns, replica, toy guns, cap guns and "look-alike" guns if they do not have clear markings permanently affixed to them (commonly blaze orange markings on the barrel or a blaze orange plug inserted into the barrel) or if they are readily convertible to shoot a lethal projectile

BB guns, air guns, black powder guns or muzzle-loader guns. Listings that use the term ?BB gun? in the item title or description of any listing for an air soft or replica gun.

Stun guns

The possession and sale of stun guns is prohibited in Hawaii, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia and may also be illegal in other locations within the United States. In addition to being prohibited under certain state laws, some municipalities also limit stun gun sales.

Stun guns that are designed to look like everyday items, such as cell phones or flashlights, or which are designed to be hidden or concealed, are not permitted on eBay.

Ammunition
This includes live, inert, and blank ammunition, as well as any component used to make up an actual round of ammunition, such as lead bullets, brass/casings, shells, primers and gunpowder.

Parts and Accessories
Assault weapon-related parts or accessories. This prohibition applies to all parts and accessories related to any firearm defined as an "assault weapon" by federal or California law. For more details on assault weapons, please visit http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/awlist.htm and http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/awguide/awguide.php.

Firearm receivers or frames, whether complete receivers and frames, components and parts of receivers and frames, or "cut" or "80%" receivers.

Parts or accessories prohibited for sale by federal or California law, including items related to short-barreled shotguns or short-barreled rifles, fully automatic weapons, large-capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators and camouflaging firearm containers.

Any of the following items, including those that are required for a gun to fire: silencers, converters (items that can be used to give a firearm automatic capability), kits that can be used to create a firearm, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, choke tubes, trigger assemblies, potato guns and cannons, flares, flare launchers, flare guns, flare gun receivers, short barrels and any illegal firearm-related items.

Photos
Please note that any photos in a listing (including stock photos) must also abide by our Firearms, Weapons and Knives policy. If a prohibited item is included in a photograph for a non-prohibited item, the listing may be ended.

Permitted
Collectibles, antiques, replicas, blank guns, paintball guns, "air soft" guns, pellet guns, replica, toy guns, cap guns and "look-alike" firearms under certain circumstances. These items:

Must have clear markings permanently affixed to them (commonly blaze orange markings on the barrel or a blaze orange plug inserted into the barrel)

Must not be readily convertible to shoot a lethal projectile
Note: Most states require that purchasers of air soft guns be 18 years of age or older.

Sales of stun guns on eBay are only permitted to the extent permissible by law. Sellers are responsible for reviewing the laws in their location and the location of the buyer and ensuring that sales are legal in both locations before listing and completing such transactions on eBay.

Paintball and air soft gun parts and accessories. Sellers must clearly state that the parts or accessories are for paintball or air soft guns.

All other gun accessories, including, but not limited to, trigger guards, stocks, butt plates, pistol grips, holsters, storage cases, grips, cleaning supplies, cases, racks, slings, dies, molds and scopes. Listings for such items must clearly state the type of firearm for which the part or accessory is designed. If this information is not provided, the listing may be ended.

Hand Weapons

Prohibited

Nunchaku
Brass, plastic or metal knuckles
Leaded cane/staff/crutch/stick
Zip guns
Shurikens
Throwing stars
Knuckle knives
Billy clubs/batons
Sandclubs or sandbags
Slungshots (also known as saps or blackjacks)

Permitted

Faux or practice items, such as foam nunchaku or plastic throwing stars

Knives

Prohibited

Switchblade Knives: The interstate sale of switchblade knives is prohibited by federal law; therefore switchblade knives may not be listed on eBay. Federal law defines switchblade knives as "any knife having a blade which opens automatically (1) by and pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle of the knife, or (2) by operation of inertia, gravity, or both." Butterfly knives are also prohibited.
Disguised Knives: Knives disguised to look like a harmless item are not permitted on eBay. These items include but are not limited to belt buckle knives, lipstick case knives, air gauge knives, and writing pen knives.
Push Knives: Push knives are not permitted on eBay. These items are often referred to as push daggers, punch daggers, punch knives, push dirks or T-handled knives.

Permitted

All other knives are generally permitted.

Militaria, Ordnance and Grenades

Prohibited

Equipment and supplies issued to and formerly used by United States Armed Forces that have not been disposed of in accordance with Department of Defense demilitarization policies. Sales of such items may constitute violations of federal law.
Ordnance (military weaponry, ammunition, and related parts), even if the item is "unserviceable" or has been "demilitarized" or "demilled," as eBay cannot confirm that the item has effectively and permanently been altered for lawful and safe transport and sale.
Grenades, including metal military practice grenades, rifle grenades, dummy grenades, grenade launcher attachments, and mines.

Permitted

Replica ordnance, specifically items that were never actual military ordnance
Relics, curios, memorabilia, or display items permanently altered to prevent ready modification for use as a grenade.

Pepper Spray and Mace

Pepper spray and mace may be listed on eBay to the extent permitted by applicable law. Sellers and buyers alike should be aware that several states and municipalities regulate the sale and possession of these items, and should make sure that they are in compliance with these laws when buying or selling pepper spray or mace on eBay.

I listed a Phelps Reloader after the new policy took effect, and had no problem with the listing being cancelled.  The auction was completed without any problems
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Star73

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 05:13:52 pm »
I plead ignorance! Ouch! Truth hurts! I can't find the subcategory you mention.  My "saved search" always brought up the Magma store but the yield now is zero. How do I locate the subcat you mention?
Thanks again,
Ron

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 06:57:54 pm »
I don't think you can get their directly, but try this.

In the eBay search bar at the top, type Star, and select Sporting Goods as the Catagory
When you get the search results, on the left will be a number of subcatagorys  - Select Hunting
Once the new search results come up, there will be new subcatagories of Hunting. - Select Reloading Equipment.
Make sure you save the search.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

curt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 02:02:50 am »
I have been doing searches regularly on ebay using "star reloading" which brings up 4 or 5 items and "reloading dies" brings up over 700.  I'm looking for 44 dies and shell plate for star.

Star73

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 10:34:15 am »
Curt,
One of the sellers on ebay modifies 7/8-14 dies to fit the star. I don't know if anyone makes shellplates. The plates are prob too  hard to be modified. If you would like to contact him I think (not sure) I have his e-mail address?
Ron