Author Topic: Old Star Lubrisizer  (Read 12693 times)

seagiant

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Old Star Lubrisizer
« on: September 10, 2007, 05:42:16 pm »
Hi,
    I posted these over on the Cast Boolits site,anyone ever seen an old Lubrisizer like this???

maurilew

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Old Star Lubrisizer
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 07:00:04 pm »
SG; sure wish l could see what you were talking about ,when you asked about that luber, got a brand name?   
 Regards, maurilew
maurilew

seagiant

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 07:32:37 pm »
Hi,
    Yes if you look at the last picture you can see it's an old Star MachineWorks,San Diego,Calif. I've never seen one of this variation. It is obviously old but is now running like a sewing machine. I had to braze a peice back on the top casting that you can't see in the picture and I lapped the actuator rod for the pump transfer bar because of some bad rust trying to roughen the operation up but in the end it's turned into on of my smoothest running lubers (I have 5) Thanks

Ross Chesley

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chesleyconsultants.com
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 07:31:48 am »
It looks different from newer ones I have -- this one is probably much older. Patent Search on number 2019795 confirms the patent was applied for in August of 1934 and was approved on November 5, 1935. The holder is the inventor C. R. Pederson (Star) so it checks out. It looks like the original drawings on the patent info. 

It is nice to see images and know you have it working. Good job!

seagiant

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 03:13:37 pm »
Hi Ross,
            Thanks for the info,I think now we can safely assume this is an original 1930ish Star. The next question that comes to mind is when was the design change made to the newer design? I just looked at another newer design San Diego Star and see no patent #,so no help there! As you can see in the pics this has a bronze center casting that the transfer bar rides on and the pressure screw cap is larger in diameter. After fixing what I could and putting it back together for testing,this luber ran smoother than any of my others (I have 5 including a nice running Phelps!) Thanks again for the info. If you can find out when this model was changed to the more modern model that would be of intreste and date this luber more precisely!