Author Topic: Star progressive presses?  (Read 15872 times)

creekwalker

• View Profile
Star progressive presses?
« on: October 15, 2007, 04:43:41 pm »
Howdy folks, I posted this on  a couple of other forums and recieved some response but not what I wanted, which was a good over all review and comparisson so I'll try here.

OK, I’ve read about and heard about the Star progressive loading machines every since I started using reloading presses and such in the mid 1970’s, but I’ve only seen them in pictures. The little that I know about them is that for the most part they were handgun cartridge only loading machines and that the Star and Dillon powder measures have some similarities. I’ve also read that to a point, the Dillon loaders evolved from tinkering around with the Star’s.

I guess my question is has anyone here had first hand experience with the Star loaders and if so how good were they. Do they still stack up against the newer equipment available to us now or not? Also, I know that the Star bullet swaggers are still being made by Magma and that the machine shop equipment and such for manufacturing the Star loader’s was purchased some time back. Did someone have intentions to bring the presses back into production or was that only rumors.

So, can anyone fill me in or if you own or owned on of these presses can you post some pictures and information? Even better would be if someone owns or had owned a Star that now owns a Dillon or other progressive and can provide a direct comparisson.

I have had one person point out to me that the Dillon 1000 and 1050 are/were product improved versions of the Star progressives but I've not used either of these or a Star. I'm not looking for a Star press to purchase, I just want to gain some detailed information, feedback or stories about them. Hope I'm not overstepping here or creating any problems, but I really like researching older loading equipment and gaining a knowledge base about it.

creekwalker

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Star progressive presses?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 08:16:47 pm »
This is the place to be to learn about Star presses.  If you read the history section and some of the threads you'll figure out that all of us on here own and use the Star.  I have two; one in .45 ACP and one in .38 Special.  There are Stars out there that can load .223 Rem and .30 Carbine.  I've seen one of the .223 versions; a fellow in Fort Worth has it.

Anyway, most of your questions can be answered by checking out the Star history section.
Distinguished Pistol Shot

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 09:28:59 pm »
Monitor ebay for Stars. Over time you will see various (star) machines & components and get an idea of current prices for used equip.

Ray Brandes

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Ray-Vin.Com
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 07:37:31 am »
Creekwalker,
I have used Dillons, but I bought a Star when I took up bullseye pistol. At first I was a little scared by it since the Dillons have so many safety gadgets available.
As designed, the Star has a lot of mechanical safety built in. You can't stroke it if a primed case is in the primer station. You can't stroke it if you didn't rotate the dial. These things prevent double charges. However, I still have had one double charge since my press is set up with a taper crimp die which requires removing the interlock.
As a tool and die maker, the Star is a machine tool. While the Dillons work fine and are very popular, they are really mass produced with a lot of plastic and die-cast parts that appear to be only as strong as they have to be and no more.
The Star is really good if you are going to load a lot of one cartridge. If you load a lot of several different cartridges, then the Dillon is probably a better choice. The Star does not use the standard threaded dies, but I understand the die plate can be machined out to accomodate them.
Regards, Ray
Regards, Ray

creekwalker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 08:59:22 am »
Thanks’ for the information folks. I’ve reviewed some of the history pertaining to Star’s and knew that a .223 had been developed but was unclear on how many were marketed. I’m also a little aware of the Star Universal loader that as I understand it allowed caliber changes much as current contemporary loaders. Now, in regards to checking internet auction sites for current pricing on used Star equipment you are absolutely right, I’ve been doing that for the last several months, as I’ll probably purchase a Star sizer in the near future.

What I really enjoyed reading though was Ray Bander’s comparison analysis of the Star vs. the Dillon as it gave me a reference point. Ray, I had already suspected that the Star progressive presses had a substantial amount of machine tooled parts in it, as well as the general fact that it ideally suited high volume loading in a primary caliber. With that in mind has anyone expressed a desire to produce CNC replacement parts and or new Star presses manufactured via the CNC process?

Well now I’ll have to add a Star press to my wish list preferably set up in 45ACP somewhere down the road. Have any of the rest of you used both Star and other contemporary presses?

cw

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 05:11:48 pm »
I started out with Star, about 20 yrs ago i went with the other top selling loaders, i recently went back to loading on the Star Machines. After trying all the others, i would take the Star Machines hands down, Plastic and pot Metal just does not compare with Steel and Brass, especially if its precision made like Stars are, JMO, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

TDO'NEILL

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 06:34:55 pm »
The Star Loaders were all made by a highly skilled craftsman. They are a first class press.
TDO'NEILL

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 10:23:31 am »
First experience with a Star was 1965 with my fathers. Now have two that are my own. I shoot mostly competition pistol and load .38, .45, and 9mm on my Stars. Purchased a Dillon 550B for loading .223, 30-06, 308, that I shoot. Single stage for various other little shooting calibers. (45lc, .380, 308, 8mm, 7mm,)I find the Quality and reliability of the Star still unsurpassed.
As noted by Star73, the Dillons are good, but they are a mass produced machine and this is obvious in the materials and designs. Both are good, only I think the Star is better.
It would be great if someone started Star production again. However, I am not sure if that would be a practical endeavor. The quality Star standards would most likely raise the price to such a point that sales would be impacted.
Good luck.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 02:42:52 pm »
I neglected to note I recently helped a beginner set up a Dillon 650. A nice machine but also a monstrosity if the case feeder is added. Comparing primer feeds the star is much simpler & more reliable. If true dillons were inspired by Stars they got carried away in that area. My star was purchased in 1973 as a 45 for BE comp for 2 of us. Later I used it for a small commercial loading endeavor adding 38-357. I have replaced some small parts, mainly springs over the yrs so durability is a given.

The Dillon I helped with was returned to the factory as it refused to feed & seat primers or feed cases. It was returned in excellent operating order at no chg. Setup involved sev hrs initially, complicated by the aforementioned probs. Star setup involved finding a set of clamps as my partner & I were trading it back & forth.

I have since added a star prog which I cleaned up for 38 requirements. Easier to move over a couple of ft than chg dies! I also aquired 9mm head & dies. The drawback to star is in adding new calibers. The availability of plates & dies involves patience & cost.

Often load rates are mentioned in regard to both brands. Personally I comfortably load about 300 rds per hr. If someone were to demand that I work harder I would resist! Load the pdr hopper, filll primer tubes etc then about 10 cranks a min is plenty for this old guy. Honestly I was never enthusiastic in regard to more.

I know nothing of the costs of production but it would certainly be great if someone were to adapt modern techniques & equipment to producing the loaders or even just shell plates. Dies & other small parts could be sourced.

The CPM loader was built maybe 35 yrs ago by Bill Detloff. Stars were hard to get & cost $360, 1 caliber. He felt there was room for improvement & they could be made cheaper. He incorp a few nice ideas, 7/8-14 dies being one & a double ended primer seater another I think. His price was something like $20 less. The question for the purchaser was why? Stars had the & earned big rep. I knew Bill & sev of our shooters worked for him to pay for part or all of the purchase of a CPM. They were all satisfied w/ their machines. The purchaser of the CPM did a disappearing act something we are familair with!

Ron H

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 09:58:00 am »
It would be great if someone started Star production again. However, I am not sure if that would be a practical endeavor. The quality Star standards would most likely raise the price to such a point that sales would be impacted.

I just got some parts from Star Machine Works in Pioneer, CA.  Not sure, but I'm guessing he might have some new mfg machines in stock.  From his last price list, they are not inexpensive.

Also, CH Die Company will custom make Star dies.  Price runs around $40 for a single die, but expect a wait since it would be a custom order.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 10:00:00 am by CDRT »
Distinguished Pistol Shot