Author Topic: Shell Floor Base Plug or Bushing ???  (Read 13879 times)

targetshooter

• View Profile
Shell Floor Base Plug or Bushing ???
« on: November 26, 2007, 03:41:51 pm »
I have a Universal set up for .45ACP. I recently noticed that when the shell advances to the final (crimp) station that it is actually being supported by the Shell PLATE. The head of the shell is not in contact with the shell floor base plug/bushing.

I'm not sure which part is installed - the base plug (68U) or the base bushing (67U). The part that is installed has a .355" hole in the center, and a recess around the hole about .565" in diameter and .021" deep. So... when the shell drops into that recess - it's below the shell floor and does not support the shell.

I'm guessing that I need a part which plugs the hole and is completely level with the shell floor.

Which part - 67U or 68U should be installed for 45ACP ???

And, Which has a recess, 67U or 68U ???

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Shell Floor Base Plug or Bushing ???
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 10:17:46 pm »
Attached is a picture of the three "plugs" that I am familiar with.   You need the one on the left.  When it is installed, the top of it should be flush with the floor of the base.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

targetshooter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 04:58:55 pm »
Thanks for the info. I had the plug you said I needed in my parts bag. Installed it and readjusted the crimp die. Much better now - the shell stands squarely on the shell floor.

Actually, there is yet another "plug" that drops inside the tapered bushing when it is  installed ! That's the one with the recess I described. Not sure what it's for except perhaps for a rimmed cartridge that needs a separate crimp. Perhaps it was custom made for a particular application, as I do not see it on the Star parts' breakdown.

Anyway - thanks again.

John

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 05:18:55 pm »
I have never seen the plug you speak of.   If you get a chance, post a picture.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 10:24:21 pm »
To rbwillnj. What is the center plug for? I know I received one with my original Star press but have never used it & can't remember what it's function is.
Thanks,
Diesel

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 12:35:55 pm »
It's for 38 Special (or 357)  It has a raised portion that prevents the cartridge from coming out of the machine.  When intalled, the raised portion matches up with the raised rim of the reloader base.   I have several of them, some are unmarked, and others have 38 stamped into the raised portion.  They seem to be identical otherwise.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 06:08:11 pm »
Is that for taper crimping the .38/.357? When I load 38's and roll crimp them I use the plug that lets them fall through the base at that position. I just recently obtained a taper crimp die for .38 caliber but have not loaded with it as of yet.
Diesel

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 07:15:58 pm »
You use that plug when you roll crimp in the seating station.  The finished round drops out the bottom in that last station with the plug.
If you are going to use a taper crimp, you have to use the solid plug on the left.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 08:54:20 am »
PS,   For years I have role crimped 38 Specials and let them drop out the bottom of the machine in the last station.  It's a great system, and very fast.   Unfortunately, a combination of events lead me to change over to using a taper crimp in the last station.

First, Star went out of business, and I switched to using Remington HBWC.   Remingtons work great, but they are oversized leading to a kinda fat cartridge.  None-the-less, they still work ok in my Clark until I followed up a squib and buldged the barrel.   $450 later I had a new barrel and bushing installed by Clark, and the new barrel has a much tighter chamber.  The only way I could get the cartridges to fully seat was to taper crimp them. 

I could have switched to another bullet, but I have had such good performance  with the Remingtons (better than Star HBWC) so I didn't want to change.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com