Author Topic: 45 Long Colt  (Read 14977 times)

jerseyjoe

• Active Members
    • View Profile
45 Long Colt
« on: February 03, 2008, 05:09:43 pm »
I would like to know if I can reload 45 LC on my star press. It is set up for 45 ACP and I would like to convert it to the 45 LC. If this is possable could someone let me know what I will need to change and if there are dies available.

cc656d

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: 45 Long Colt
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 08:47:43 pm »
Yes if you can find the dies!!
Distinguished pistol shot
2600 club
NIB Star
Benefactor member NRA
Life Member Va, Md, WVa, and Fl State Shooting Associations , Life OGCA

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 10:32:50 pm »
And the Shell Plate
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

txtaxman

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 01:42:52 pm »
Do not forget the Charge Bar of the Powder Measure.  Is it possible to ream one from the .45 ACP (for example, a 3.5 BE) enough to throw a .45 Colt charge of 8.6 grains of Unique?

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 11:52:56 pm »
But seriously,   You need a 45 LC Shell plate,  Or at least a 45 Auto Rim Shell Plate (not ideal but workable)  If you are loading for one of the newer 45 LC guns that uses .452 bullets rather than .454 bullets, you can use the 45 ACP dies, but you will have to modify the expander.   If you raise the 45 ACP expander to where it has to go to expand a 45 LC cartridge, it will interfere with the powder slide.  You will have to cut some of the top off so it doesn't interfere with the powder slide.  I'm not sure if you will still be able to use it for 45 ACP if you make this modification.

As for the Powder Slide... If you use a 00 powder slide, you would need approx. a .470" diameter hole to get a charge of 8.1 grains of Unique... the load I use for 45 LC.  You would need a hole diameter of approx .476" to get a charge of 8.7 grains of Unique.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

jerseyjoe

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 07:24:59 am »
Well it sounds like this is not so easy ::). First of all I have a adjustable powder slide ;D so that should solve the powder problem. I guess next question is were can I find a shell plate and next the proper dies ??? As far as modifying my 45ACP expander I had given that some thought and I suppose I could purchase a spare to accomplish that. I would like to purchase another head so I don't have to change dies every time I want to reload 45ACP. So that puts me in the need for a sizer-decaper and bullet seating die, and as I mentioned a shell plate. Is there anyone who could help me locate these parts??
Thank you for your help so far and I be checking the site for any more help in the future.

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 09:11:31 am »
List your needs in the WTB/WTS section. You can also communicate with Steve Ogden, a member of this group and inquire about what he may have. He has numerous assorted parts and accessories. I have dealt with him and he is fair and reasonable.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

jerseyjoe

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 03:03:17 pm »
Thank's Kenn I did post my needs on this site. I was unable to contact Steve Ogden as his message box is full. Do you have a contact for him?

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 08:30:09 pm »
I sent you mailing info via personal message.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

jerseyjoe

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 07:54:22 am »
Thank's Kenn I have also sent you a PM. I will contact Steve